Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY Times article about health care discrimination against disabled

Excellent piece. Thanks for posting. The lack of reasonable access in the delivery of medical services is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    They are building a new satellite clinic. I wonder if there will be a ceiling lift room in it?

They finally have a ceiling lift in one of the new ER rooms. I called ahead and asked it be available when I took him in.
    Don't wait to find out! Tell them you and others need a lift and it is required by law!

Agreed with article. Same in Canada.

I have reminded my doc the last six visits that I've been his patient for over 20yrs and he still doesn't have an examining table. I approached the owner last week (bunch of rich snobby boys) and he laughed while walking away.

Under the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, no one has to be accessible until 2025. I'll be retired by then ... if I make it. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by chris-k View Post
    Don't wait to find out! Tell them you and others need a lift and it is required by law!
    I was thinking the same thing after posted.
    He has an appointment on Friday and I'm going to ask.
    The staff is always apologetic and isn't their fault the buildings are outdated, but would not hurt to ask where to offer my suggestions.

Don't think I've ever been to a doctors office with a exam table I could get on in 33 years
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

ChrisK thank you so much for the copy of the PDF report on appropriate ADA compliance. I will definitely be using it in the future.

I don't have SCI but some of my medical appointments have been really difficult. My last two annual ob-gyn exams were really terrible due to lack of accommodation. I didn't know there were specialized adjustable tables with padded leg supports. I cried through my last two exams as my legs spasmed, shook and fell out of the stirrups due to pain, fatigue and lack of mobility. I thought there was no other way and that I just had to deal. Now I know better.

I'm only worried I will have trouble finding a table like this in my local area, but I'll just have to start looking some months in advance of my next annual. If there isn't one, then I will have to press for one to be installed. It is easy to see why people with disabilities sometimes simply forgo needed medical care when facilities won't treat them, can only provide partial coverage or make the process an indignity. Thanks for all the work you have done to make facilities accessible. Someone always has to come first and pave the way so that the rest of us can enjoy the benefits.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    ChrisK thank you so much for the copy of the PDF report on appropriate ADA compliance. I will definitely be using it in the future.

I don't have SCI but some of my medical appointments have been really difficult. My last two annual ob-gyn exams were really terrible due to lack of accommodation. I didn't know there were specialized adjustable tables with padded leg supports. I cried through my last two exams as my legs spasmed, shook and fell out of the stirrups due to pain, fatigue and lack of mobility. I thought there was no other way and that I just had to deal. Now I know better.

I'm only worried I will have trouble finding a table like this in my local area, but I'll just have to start looking some months in advance of my next annual. If there isn't one, then I will have to press for one to be installed. It is easy to see why people with disabilities sometimes simply forgo needed medical care when facilities won't treat them, can only provide partial coverage or make the process an indignity. Thanks for all the work you have done to make facilities accessible. Someone always has to come first and pave the way so that the rest of us can enjoy the benefits.
    If you are not routinely taking it, 5-10mg of Valium about 30 minutes before the procedure may help with the spasms. It has saved me from having to redo x-rays and scans a number of times.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Ditto that, I was given valium before my mris and recent procedures and didn't have any spasms during the short periods they were being done. I was really nervous about ruining the mri with spasms, because I have a frequent one in my neck that's like a slight head tic. And whenever I try not to spasm, I spasm more. I think I must tense up or something and it just triggers more.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I think the information sharing on CC is great and benefits all of us whether we have a SCI or some other disability.

Like the previous posts said, there is simply no good reason for you or anybody to be in that kind of pain during an exam! You really need to discuss this with your doctors and find a more comfortable arrangement.