Thread: Transverse myelitis.

Transverse myelitis.

Autoimmun Rev. 2012 Jan;11(3):231-48.

Transverse myelitis.

Borchers AT, Gershwin ME.

Source

Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, University of California at Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA, United States.

Abstract

Acute transverse myelitis (ATM) is an etiologically heterogeneous syndrome with acute or subacute onset, in which inflammation of the spinal cord results in neurologic deficits, manifesting as weakness, sensory loss and autonomic dysfunction. It is frequently associated with infectious or systemic autoimmune diseases, but its etiology remains unknown in a substantial portion of cases, which are classified as idiopathic. Unifying diagnostic criteria for idiopathic and disease-associated ATM were proposed in 2002. Although they have been applied to a few cohorts of patients, the limited information provided in the relevant publications has not yet yielded many new insights on the clinical characteristics, disease course, and outcome of adult patients with idiopathic ATM compared to older studies that did not always distinguish between the various etiologies of ATM. There is, however, some new epidemiological data indicating that the incidence of idiopathic ATM is considerably higher, and the female preponderance greater, than previously recognized. In addition, new data on children with ATM show that the prognosis in pediatric patients is not always as benign as previous studies had indicated. The combination of ATM and optic neuritis characterize Devic's syndrome or neuromyelitis optica (NMO). A seminal discovery was the identification of an antibody that is a specific marker not only for NMO, but also of some of its characteristic manifestations in isolation, including longitudinally extensive TM. This has resulted in the proposal that all of the disorders that are associated with NMO-IgG positivity constitute part of an NMO spectrum of disorders. This antibody recognizes aquaporin-4, which represents the most abundant water channel of the central nervous system. There is growing evidence that the antibodies targeting this channel protein have pathogenic potential, thereby providing insights into the possible pathogenetic mechanisms of at least one type of ATM.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21621005
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Thanks for posting this ... doesn't seem like much more info than 1985, except for the protein marker. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly View Post
    Acute transverse myelitis (ATM) is an etiologically heterogeneous syndrome with acute or subacute onset, in which inflammation of the spinal cord results in neurologic deficits, manifesting as weakness, sensory loss and autonomic dysfunction.
    I thought about this yesterday ... this explains my headaches to go to the washroom and other strange phenomena ... I thought only T6 up got autonomic dysreflexia. Good to know!

One doctor (a former gyne) told me I was making it all up.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12