Thread: Earache-serious?

Earache-serious?

I've had an earache for 3 days. My hearing is almost gone in that ear.
    The doctor's schedule was full so he prescribed Cefuroxime Axeltil over the phone.
    I'm wondering if I should go to an emergency room to get it checked out.
    I'm already so compromised with SCI. I don't want to add deafness to the list.
    Does anybody have experience with earaches?
    Rich

I took some sudafed and aleve to deal with the pain.
    Hopefully it will heal quickly and I can get on with life!
    Rich

I am sure it will clear up with the antibiotic and the antihistamine. the only other thing might be ear drops.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I am sure it will clear up with the antibiotic and the antihistamine. the only other thing might be ear drops.
    CWO
    Hopefully. Thanks. This is the 3rd day on antibiotics. No improvement yet
    Rich

If the antibiotic were going to work, I think you would have noticed a positive change by now - my doctor says to allow 72 hours.

Since this is a long holiday weekend, in your shoes I'd probably want to get it checked out - in order to be more comfortable, and to protect the eardrum and prevent the infection from worsening.

Do you have an urgent care center nearby? I'm trying to think of somewhere you could go that wouldn't involve a trip to the ER. Sometimes a pharmacist can make good suggestions, even though he/she can't prescribe. My local Wal-Mart has a clinic in the store that's staffed by a nurse practitioner who can write prescriptions - is there anything like that where you live? If not, it would probably be a good idea to go to the ER - especially if you're having a discharge of any kind from the ear.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but since you can't see your doctor and the extended weekend is looming, my take on it is that you're better safe than sorry. Hope you get better without too much ado, I've had ear infections a few times and they're plenty scary and uncomfortable.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    If the antibiotic were going to work, I think you would have noticed a positive change by now - my doctor says to allow 72 hours.

Since this is a long holiday weekend, in your shoes I'd probably want to get it checked out - in order to be more comfortable, and to protect the eardrum and prevent the infection from worsening.

Do you have an urgent care center nearby? I'm trying to think of somewhere you could go that wouldn't involve a trip to the ER. Sometimes a pharmacist can make good suggestions, even though he/she can't prescribe. My local Wal-Mart has a clinic in the store that's staffed by a nurse practitioner who can write prescriptions - is there anything like that where you live? If not, it would probably be a good idea to go to the ER - especially if you're having a discharge of any kind from the ear.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but since you can't see your doctor and the extended weekend is looming, my take on it is that you're better safe than sorry. Hope you get better without too much ado, I've had ear infections a few times and they're plenty scary and uncomfortable.
    Thanks Bonnette.
    I went to a clinic. They tried flushing out my ear but said there was still a chunk of wax on the eardrum that wouldn't loosen. They said the tissue looked raw (irritated) and prescribed Ciprodex otic suspension. Also, they suggested using mineral oil to loosen the wax. My hearing isn't better, yet.
    Rich

I'm glad you went to a clinic. Your hearing might not improve for a few days, if the tissue is irritated and swollen - but the otic solution should make you feel more comfortable before too long. I would be leery of putting mineral oil in the ear, at least at this point - I'm not a medical professional and I could be all wet, but it just seems to me that the drops ought not to have any "competition" if infection is present. Hope you get some relief soon.

I went to an ear nose throat doc. He vacuumed out the rest of the wax and said he didn't think there was infection. The mineral oil I had put in softened it up. Otherwise, he said it could hurt pretty bad trying to get out hardened wax.
    It's so nice to hear normally again!
    Rich

Oh, I'm so glad that all is well! Thank you for your update. It's wonderful that your hearing is restored!

Thanks Bonnette!
    Kind of a cliche but- sometimes you have to lose something to realize its worth!
    Of course we know about that.
    Rich