Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do I need an icon??

Why do I need an icon??

My 4th anniversary is quickly approaching, and with it the itch to buy a new chair.
    I like the icon concept, I like the design, I like the responsiveness of Jeff, and I dislike it's price.
    But the question that begs is: as an "advanced" wheelchair user, should I not go more towards fixed configuration lighter chairs rather than the uber modular and flexible icon?
    I would like to hear from the veterans out here on how (and IF) they would benefit from the adjustability of the icon.

I am currently on a zra, and I did only a few adjustments over the past years...
    I am still not 100prc sure of what I actually need sine I have very little help and comparison grounds here in the UAE... But I want something light, sturdy, solid, comfy and that looks good.
    I am looking at:
    Panthera
    Oracing
    Tilite zr
    And of course the icon

Can you guys help a brother out?

Ck

Quote Originally Posted by ckhouri View Post
    ... But I want something light, sturdy, solid, comfy and that looks good.
    I am looking at:
    Panthera
    Oracing
    Tilite zr
    And of course the icon

I have both a Zra and an Icon. Like you I hadn't made an adjustment to my Zra in over a year. I bought the Icon more for the suspension than the adjustability although it is nice to be able to adjust the back angle easily so that I am more relaxed sitting at my desk and tighter when I am out rolling around.

Like toolely pointed out, there is a vast difference between the 3 chairs you listed and the Icon. A solid welded box frame is hard to compare to an Icon. All I can say is that I like my Icon and am glad I bought it. To me going from a Zra to a Zr would be nice but an incremental improvement. Buying an Icon means you have something completely different which is what I was looking for.

FWIW my next chair will probably be a magnesium lasher, I would love to own a super light solid chair.

I'd go for an ORacing, if I could easily import one, off that list.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

My Icon is my first chair, so I am not going to try to compare anything. But I have found that the ability to adjust the back angle while still sitting in the chair is very useful for relieving strain. Kind of like adjusting a car seat just a bit on long rides.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I have to add, I'd go for an ORacing because it's the one chair on the list, and mentioned by others, I don't already own.

If I didn't already have a super light Mg, a fully adjustable air suspension, and an off the shelf, mass produced, adjustable chair, I would seriously consider adding an Icon to my stable.

Quote Originally Posted by ckhouri View Post
    ... the question that begs is: as an "advanced" wheelchair user, should I not go more towards fixed configuration lighter chairs rather than the uber modular and flexible icon? ...
    Maybe you’ve answered your own question.

Sounds like your ZRA’s fit and function have served you well the past 4 years. Evolving to a simple, lightweight ZR seems more sensible than jumping to a heavier, tweekable Icon – unless you have support needs that are in flux.

FYI, 22.3# all-up, no-side-guards ZR here.

How high a priority is suspension?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Not much of one, IMO. Nice, to be sure, but not necessary. Adds weight and complexity. Changes geometry of the chair when activated, also. Smooths out the thresholds nicely, and ramp transitions, notably. Curbs, goes without saying, but those are easy to avoid, generally.

The adjustable casters is what I like. In fact I would want them even more adjustable so that you could easily flip them forward or back for outdoor or indoor use.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.