Thread: Laying on my back

Laying on my back

Seems like when I'm laying on my back for a long period of time(4-5hrs) I need to cathe a lot.. cathing every 1.5 hrs or less..does anyone have this issue?
    Louie Gonzalez
    C6 C7

This happens to me too. When I lay down I think it relaxes my body and let's the kidneys process easier? That's my theory lol. I have no idea, I just figure from being more relaxed it allows the system to process better. The worst time for me is at night when I lay down to go to sleep because as soon as I'm ready to fall asleep I get major pressure as soon as I am almost out. So then I have to get up and cath, and start all over, this happens several times before I go to sleep :-) I do not get any urges of urination like able bodied people, but I do feel pressure in my abdomen like a pain of sorts. I seem to get that pressure feeling at about 400 ml , which my urologist says is a good thing, that my body lets me know at that amount.

But yea, I think your body just processes more urine in a relaxed state. I am no expert :-) just my theory on why it happens to me too.
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Thanks for the feed back..sounds good..it's pretty frustrating at times..
    Louie Gonzalez
    C6 C7

When you lay down there is more blood flow to the kidneys and more urine output, Also most people have some fluid buildup in their legs and with elevation, the fluid goes back to the heart and kidneys and is filtered.
    CWO

Thanks cwo, that makes total sense :-)
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

I guess I'll sleep standing up in my standing frame...lol..thank you fr the info.
    Louie Gonzalez
    C6 C7

Isn't blood pressure higher when laying down?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

From my understanding blood pressure is lowest while laying.
    BobbieLee

No, blood pressure is highest when lying down, and lower when you get up. My hubby has to cath CONSTANTLY in the night and rarely during the day. We've been wondering why this is. I guess I'm just saying, "Yep, us too "

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    When you lay down there is more blood flow to the kidneys and more urine output, Also most people have some fluid buildup in their legs and with elevation, the fluid goes back to the heart and kidneys and is filtered.
    CWO
    Thats what I was told, and I'm not SCI. But I've always had issues with nocturia and produce much more urine when I'm laying down than sitting up. My urologist wants me to get evaluated by a nephrologist, but the line I'd gotten for years was its due to increased blood flow when laying down. In me its been blamed on dysautonomia (dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system) which makes sense to me now with finding out you guys with SCI deal with it.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.