Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do some of some of the dumbest people chose

Blog Entries

Why do some of some of the dumbest people chose

Why do some of some of the dumbest people chose the caregiving profession?
    I mean if breathing required thought, these poor people....

Money is in the medicine field.

Caregivers

A recent ad in Newsday for a home care agency offered 10$ an hour-own transportation. Try living on LI on10$ an hour.
    Finbar

I did it. I had a brain. I remember going tharn a few times when it became servitude, or slavery. I think people get burned out, and leave their mind in the back closet somewhere.

A lot of people in non-professional caregiving (PCAs, for example) are working poor who have a limited education or limited intellect and cannot get other jobs that pay better. Asking good questions during your interview that require some thinking can help to weed them out. One of the reasons we also used to look for college students when interviewing for my mother's needs (not that you can't get into college as one of the less sharp blades in the drawer now days).

(KLD)

Caregivers

To expect to get competent, intelligent, responsible care from someone who is on the books for 10$ /hr is to be totally disassociated from economic reality. In addition to whatever personal limitations they might have they are living on the edge personally. The Boston bombers wife worked 80 hrs/week.
    To get quality care you have to pay. One way is to advertise, negotiate a fair wage, send the person through an agency and top off the salary. I work on LI but don't live there. I guess you could get what you need for 17-18$/hr.
    Quite obviously care giving and caregivers are not highly valued in our society.
    Finbar

I agree with what the others are saying Tim, but I totally understand your question.
    You can't make up some of the things that happen.
    One of Dave's best aides has been here 3 years. She can't remember how to make a pitcher of Crystal Lite or find a jar of peanut butter that is always in the same spot. She freaks out over spiders to the point I must go in and remove them. She forgets to fill out her time sheet and says in inappropriate things we overlook.
    Her good points far outweigh the silliness though.
    Last edited by LindaT; 05-23-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spell

Because they are paid like teachers. Without the benefits.

Blog Entries

It just doesn't require a "teacher's" level intellect to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I agree with what the others are saying Tim, but I totally understand your question.
    You can't make up some of the things that happen.
    One of Dave's best aides has been here 3 years. She can't remember how to make a pitcher of Crystal Lite or find a jar of peanut butter that is always in the same spot. She freaks out over spiders to the point I must go in and remove them. She forgets to fill out her time sheet and says in inappropriate things we overlook.
    Her good points far outweigh the silliness though.
    My remarks were in context of a rhetorical rant, sorry, no offense intended, however my caregivers get at least $150/ day cash and given a room + utilities as a live-in.
    In return I only ask for "do unto me as you would want done unto you" nothing more, nothing less, and oh yes;
    be able to differentiate between monkey chow, and people chow. I mean I'm crazy about my monkey, but her food...not so much.

I also in general think, that caregivers should get paid well, but Tim's seem to get fair pay, and I don't think that this has to do with the question of their intelligence or the lack of it.

Just this morning I had a tiny little incident that reminded me of this thread. One caregiver, Miss Bott, was here to get me out of bed as usual. She was accompanied by an apprentice, Saskia. Miss Bott only works part time because she goes to college in order to get a bachelor and master in the pedagogic of preventative care. She is always having problems with her job here but refuses to have some of the more experienced caregivers show her how she would have less problems. It has happened repeatedly that after she left I needed to call friends because I was sitting weird in my chair or something else wasn't right.

This morning she had me sitting on my bed when I realized that she had forgotten to put my shoes on. Well, then Saskia did that, and when I said with a smile, it was good to have the apprentice, this apprentice got all excited that poor Miss Bott had such a terribly hard time to do the care for me usually ALL ALONE, and how difficult that was, bla bla bla. I was really surprised about that strong reaction, because - honestly - I didn't think that to remember to put shoes on a quad before you put her in her wheelchair wasn't such a huge challenge that required great admiration.

I made the observation that there is more like a connection between personality and competence, and it is more a question of willingness to learn how to do a good job versus the arrogance of overestimating one's capabilities plus the ignorance of how the customer feels when the caregiver leaves (like: do I sit well in my wheelchair, is the catheter o.k. etc.).

I know that they don't have an easy job, and I do thank them oftentimes and tell them as often as I can, that they are doing a great job, and make little birthday and christmas gifts. But some of them I will just never get along with because of their carelessness (instead of true care).