Thread: FreeWheel Adaptor for Folding Chairs

FreeWheel Adaptor for Folding Chairs

I thought others may be interested to know about this:

FreeWheel Adaptor for Folding Chairs in Test Phase

Yes, the rumors are true. We are working on an adaptor so people with folding wheelchairs will be able to use the FreeWheel.

Currently in its testing phase, we are working to make the Adaptor quick to install and remove, with little fiddle factor or use of tools. What we’ve heard from people who have taken our survey is that they need something that can come on and off a few times a day. We are listening to what you are saying and the development process is moving forward.

This picture is of Dale with a prototype of the adaptor on his folding chair. What is exciting is that … you really cannot see it! It will be a piece that is fairly hidden under your chair and then the standard FreeWheel Wheelchair Attachment attaches to it.

If you’d like to receive notification when we are ready to distribute the FreeWheel Adaptor for Folding chairs, please email us at: info@gofreewheel.com and put "Folding Chair Adaptor” in the subject line.
    I tried to see from the picture how it attaches, but it is not very clear. They are right "you really cannot see it!". It looks like it possibly attaches to the seat frame?

We would like to use the FreeWheel on a TiLite ZRA2 with flip-up footrests (DU100082) with a Spinergy ZX1 power add-on that will attach to the camber tube, which is the reason I am curious about where it attaches to.

I have sent an e-mail to FreeWheel about it and also whether the adaptor will work on a 1.25" frame.

[Added: I received an e-mail from FreeWheel to say that it attaches to the horizontal tubing on each side that is about 4" or so below the seat cushion. Still waiting to hear about a compatibility for a 1.25" frame.]
    Last edited by elarson; 05-22-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added info about adaptor location
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Hi,

It's a good idea to use a FreeWheel with a ZX-1 as many customers are enjoying the result. However, our new adapter allows folding chairs to use the FreeWheel. The adapter will not fit on a rigid framed wheelchair, so your ZRa2 with fold up footrests would require a one piece footrest to use the FreeWheel. The adapter won't fit that rigid chair.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pat

I wonder if it will also work with a flipback footrest on a rigid chair? I'll email them, too. Thanks for the heads up.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

That's a bummer Pat. I guess we are back to square one....

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    Hi,

It's a good idea to use a FreeWheel with a ZX-1 as many customers are enjoying the result. However, our new adapter allows folding chairs to use the FreeWheel. The adapter will not fit on a rigid framed wheelchair, so your ZRa2 with fold up footrests would require a one piece footrest to use the FreeWheel. The adapter won't fit that rigid chair.

Pat
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

my friend wants a freewheel but has a folding chair. i'll let her know
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    That's a bummer Pat. I guess we are back to square one....
    How about getting someone to make you a plate that bridges the flip up footrests when you need to attach the freewheel?

It can look something like this: red = plate, blue = tube piece welded on to clamp freewheel onto, green = L shaped brackets if needed to stiffen footrest. The main concern is making it strong enough to not wreck footrests but not be too heavy.

It could attach/detach quickly to the footrest plates with some bolts with wingnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    Ok, here goes..... I'm a bit confused, and hope patd or anyone else can help.

I have had quite a few e-mails back and forth with FreeWheel about the “in-development” FreeWheel Adaptor for Folding Chairs the last months, and we really need to make decisions very soon about whether to purchase a FreeWheel or not (we really want one). We have a budget that we will loose shortly, but at least if we can get the FreeWheel funded now, we can wait for the adaptor.Total budget is about $750-1000 I think (waiting for ZX1 pricing).

I’m trying to understand from the photo on the website where exactly the attachment is located. It was described to me in an e-mail that it attaches “to the horizontal tubing on each side that is about 4" or so below the seat cushion”. If I am understanding the picture and what I was told in the e-mail, it looks to me to attach where the red arrow is (assuming 4” is below the top of the seat cushion):

These are photo's of the 2 chairs we are hoping to use a FreeWheel with. The first is a TiLite 2GX (folding chair) and the second is a TiLite ZRA2 (rigid char) with individual flip-up footrests. Both chairs have a front seat height of 18.5" and a rear seat height of 17". Assuming I am understanding the previous website picture correctly, the red arrows are in approximately the same position. I also understand that there may be an issue with tubing if it is anything other than 1”, which the ZRA is not (1.25”).

The highest priority chair to use with the FreeWheel is the ZRA, because we plan to also get a Spinergy ZX1 soon, and we really need it for cobblestone streets. If the ZRA is not possible, we would consider making our own modification (something similar as mentioned by Jeff B -- thanks), or going with something completely different.

I realize that the adaptor is still in the development stage, but a little clarification would really help (and/or more pictures, also from the front). I see on the website that it is being shown at trade shows, but unfortunately, I don’t think any in Europe soon.

Any and all input is welcome. The clock is ticking for us on this decision.

I tried the Freewheel with the adapter at the Atlanta expo. The adapter fit on the lowest tube on the chair. Not the upper one. I have a 30 year old Quickie folder.
    Of the two chairs you have pics of the one on the left "looks" like it would work with the adapter I saw. The rigid chair on the right would need a one piece foot rest, as the normal freewheel hooks to that.
    In the picture with the guy in the hat. You can just see a piece of the adapter on the lower tube. Just in front of the tire and behind the caster. Its black, so doesn't show up well.

Thank you baldfatdad. This makes much more sense than what I was hearing about it being 4" from the seat cushion. Now at least I understand the situation. I think this is the actual adaptor?:

I was wondering how they were going to deal with the different height chairs and needing a bend and long extension. Obviously, this would never work on a cantilever frame. Possibly it might work on a rigid box frame with flip-up footrests, but that is another story.

I think this is still some ways out for being on the market, so I can only assume that having other adaptors, like on the front frame, is way out of our time-frame. Time to look into other options....

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I tried the Freewheel with the adapter at the Atlanta expo. The adapter fit on the lowest tube on the chair. Not the upper one. I have a 30 year old Quickie folder.
    Of the two chairs you have pics of the one on the left "looks" like it would work with the adapter I saw. The rigid chair on the right would need a one piece foot rest, as the normal freewheel hooks to that.
    In the picture with the guy in the hat. You can just see a piece of the adapter on the lower tube. Just in front of the tire and behind the caster. Its black, so doesn't show up well.