Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Question...

More PC stuff that is appropriate for this thread.

10 Things to Never Say to a Person in a Wheelchair.

http://www.themobilityresource.com/1...-a-wheelchair/

Seriously? How long has this been happening? I'd document the situation and your feelings/request for it to stop in writing and give it to your professor and the Dean.

...then have Jody do the pee thing.

Jody, you got some big shoes to fill
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Back in my college days eons ago students were addressed as Mr. or Miss or other formal title, e.g. "Sister," for nuns. I undertand that things are quite casual these days, but the use of possibly demeaning nick names seems way out of line. I recall a dorm mate of a Hispanic student calling him "Uglito." The altercation that followed got them both suspended for a while. It seemed quite unjust being that the name caller was obviously the provocateur. I would at least pass this instructor's name and practice along to the Disability Services Office at the college.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    depends on your relationship, if friends, go with the flow, there's enough pc crap in this world
    I agree. What's your relationship with this person? Do these nicknames bother you?
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

I don't think this is harmless fun. Disturbingly, the person throwing the "jokes," is an educator.

There is a word for what the OP is experiencing, and it is called a "microaggression." We have all been there. The term microggression was originally coined to speak to racialized experiences. Racial microaggressions, "are brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial slights and insults toward people of color." It has been understood that microaggressions translate to other minority groups, including people with disabilities.

The blog Microagressions captures everyday experiences like that of the OP, to allow people to understand the impact of daily living with these constant slights.

I agree that the OP needs to document in writing (send an email) the need for the professor to cease this behavior. The OP needs to make it clear why this language is hurtful and that it singles them out. If the professor doesn't stop immediately, a complaint needs to be filed in person with the dean, where you bring the timestamped email as evidence that you asked for this behavior to stop. You could also name any other students who may have overheard the name calling. Bottom line, this has to stop immediately. People who engage in this type of thing can feel empowered to escalate their "joke" if they aren't stopped in their tracks.

If this continues and your dean isn't helpful, you can PM me for more advice if needed. I work on a hotline where I help people deal with harassment and have been trained on the steps to help ameliorate this issue. It is not an easy problem to deal with. However, you are in a school environment, and legally you cannot be harassed, especially when it concerns disability. You might also want to look up your school's harassment policy which should be listed in your school handbook, typically available online. It should apply to all students and school personnel and might list a place or person with which to file any complaints.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by NikkiMaya; 05-22-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Blog Entries

what would i think?

Quote Originally Posted by novanoin View Post
    How would you respond to a college instructor coming up with nick names for you?

Some of these nick names include things such as "Wheelz" and most recently "Captain Cripple", as well as others.

Far bigger things to think about, but if I did I'd have to wonder what was wrong with me.

Blog Entries

Uglito? Of course, it's not a word. Now

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Back in my college days eons ago students were addressed as Mr. or Miss or other formal title, e.g. "Sister," for nuns. I undertand that things are quite casual these days, but the use of possibly demeaning nick names seems way out of line. I recall a dorm mate of a Hispanic student calling him "Uglito." The altercation that followed got them both suspended for a while. It seemed quite unjust being that the name caller was obviously the provocateur. I would at least pass this instructor's name and practice along to the Disability Services Office at the college.
    Uglito? Of course, it's not a word. Now if it was feo, it would be different.

Blog Entries
    My feelings are already hurt by being a cripple, so nothing anyone calls me gets much of a rise. I make an exception for folks who try things like handicapable or alternately-abled. If the nicknames aren't said with a hurtful intent, don't take it on yourself to feel hurt. If you cannot walk, you *are* a cripple, and if the instructor promotes you to captain, so much the better.

If you feel you need to, talk to the instructor, but do *not* report *anyone* to anyone in the administration unless talking to the person has no effect. There is absolutely no sense in possibly ruining a person's life in retribution for them making you feel bad. I would much rather someone called me stupid nicknames than treating me like someone who will break if they bump in to me.

My $ 0.02
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury