Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for Leisure and Recreation equipment suggestions:

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    There are so many options for quads and Handcycles. Get a good Handcycle and have a Bionics installed. The bike alone will hold up for years longer than the Dragonfly or anything like that.

it would b allot less than the $6,700 price
    a "good handcycle" + a BionX setup + quad grips can still run near $5k.

example: http://www.freedomryder.com/FRH-1X.htm

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Abelware VEE-ZEE C5 FOLDING REACHER. This works better for me than any other.
    Wayfair price= $185.00

www.wayfair.com type in title of reacher.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

It's great to hear everyone's "wish list". At the risk of sounding trite, I think this is a great supporting group of caring people. The AB world has no idea about what they are missing!

N.B. I'm an AB carepartner, so I hope I am qualified to say that.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    for a handcycle/etc:

http://quadgrips.com/ – I have a set. They're great.
    I was going to ask what other quads use, thanks.

Do others use the regular width cranks or the wide "bullhorn" type ones?

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    There are so many options for quads and Handcycles. Get a good Handcycle and have a Bionics installed. The bike alone will hold up for years longer than the Dragonfly or anything like that.

it would b allot less than the $6,700 price
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    a "good handcycle" + a BionX setup + quad grips can still run near $5k.

example: http://www.freedomryder.com/FRH-1X.htm
    I'm going more for:
    "Let's go for a ride around the neighborhood"
    "OK. click, click, click, click "Let's go."

It's not worth the transfering hassles to me to get a bike that goes really fast. I'm even going to get the basket on the front.

"But isn't that kind of girly?"
    "Yep. I pedal like a girl too. But if we run into ET we're all set."

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Abelware VEE-ZEE C5 FOLDING REACHER. This works better for me than any other.
    Wayfair price= $185.00

www.wayfair.com type in title of reacher.
    Thanks. I'm really happy with the quad tools reachers I have already. The Vee-Zee's ability to fold is a nice feature for portability though.

If I get a bike attachment it brings me back to the solid tires vs tubes decision again. I went with solids the first 5 years on an XTR with frogslegs casters and switched to air filled tires 5 years ago when I got my TR. They rolled nicer but one blew out a few weeks after I got them when I wasn't even in the chair. I can't change tires myself so I said screw that and went back to solids.

The ride in a chair with solid tires without shocks is fairly hard. I can feel every sidewalk crack. If I am using my chair with a handcycle it could be rough ride.

I used 110 psi Primos before. I'm thinking if I go with air maybe Schwalbe SpeedRun or maybe Marathon plus, if they are worth. The extra weight over SpeedRuns?

sounds like you got a pinch flat from running slightly under-inflated.. once compromised its' just a matter of time until the tube lets go, whether you are in the chair or not.

IMO, Pr1mo's aren't a great tire - I won't even use them on my rugby chair. Then again, that's hardly regular wear and tear. A better tire, which some here use on their day chair, is a Schwalbe RightRun. Actually any Schwalbe tire is a good choice. Having pushed Marathons for the last year on my day chairs I prefer them, they are nice and thick (you could run over a thumb-tack) - definitely worth the extra weight. Having installed them with Schwalbe tubes with metal valve stems and maintaining tire pressure weekly I am confident with them not leaving me stranded, and I travel by air 10-15 times a year.

I ran solids out of rehab, never again. The rolling resistance and ride difference is too noticeable. When I switched from Shox to SpeedRuns I rolled more than 3 times further on each push.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    sounds like you got a pinch flat from running slightly under-inflated.. once compromised its' just a matter of time until the tube lets go, whether you are in the chair or not.
    Maybe, but I thought I was keeping them inflated enough and it was only a few weeks of light use. Maybe they were installed poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    IMO, Pr1mo's aren't a great tire - I won't even use them on my rugby chair. Then again, that's hardly regular wear and tear. A better tire, which some here use on their day chair, is a Schwalbe RightRun. Actually any Schwalbe tire is a good choice. Having pushed Marathons for the last year on my day chairs I prefer them, they are nice and thick (you could run over a thumb-tack) - definitely worth the extra weight. Having installed them with Schwalbe tubes with metal valve stems and maintaining tire pressure weekly I am confident with them not leaving me stranded, and I travel by air 10-15 times a year.

I ran solids out of rehab, never again. The rolling resistance and ride difference is too noticeable. When I switched from Shox to SpeedRuns I rolled more than 3 times further on each push.
    I did notice longer rolling per push as well. I will probably try again. I can always switch back to solids if I have too many problems.

The tread on the Marathons looks like it would track lots of dirt etc into the house. Did you have any problems with the SpeedRuns? They look like a more suitable option for me.