Thread: Spinal Cord Stimulator Removal

Spinal Cord Stimulator Removal

I am wondering if anyone here has had a SCS removed? I had a SCS from St. Jude Medical implanted in April of 2010 for severe pain from my feet to my hips. It was a failed procedure. I never had even remote success, although I tinkered with the machine and met with the reps many times.

I was told to turn it off and get it removed, but the initial surgery was so difficult, I couldn't fathom putting myself through another one. Since last month, I have been having constant spasms in my lower back. They were so bad, I went to the ER twice and was admitted to the hospital once. One of the doctors I saw told me the cause could be the wires from the stimulator irritating a nerve.

I have a pre-surgical evaluation with the surgeon who did the original implantation, on June 7th at Beth Israel in Boston. I want to get his take on all of this, and will consider scheduling surgery to have it removed.

I would like to know if anyone here has been through such a surgery, and if so, what was that like? How long was the recovery process? Would you say it was more difficult/less difficult than the initial implant surgery? Anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

A number of folks have had them removed. My doc was nervous about removing mine as there can be issues, My new Pain Doc at Beth in NYC said no big deal for a talented surgeon and yes there are risks but... she didn't feel as worried as the local guy seemed to make it.

Mine was a bitch to put in as well I have paddle leads sewn in top down which is my old docs concern, scar tissue blah blah blah

I haven't had mine removed only because I can't deal with another surgery. If I need something else done I will have mine removed. other than one more piece of crap in me and the lump in my back I kind of don't care enough anymore.

Good luck, and if you thought it would help I'd go for it.

Kindly,

ket

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    I'm lucky mine failed during trial and I told them so. Big silent area when they put electrode all they way in to T8/9 and only felt burning sensation at 9V. Had use TENS before above my T12/L1 for pain above that level. Did trial after became sensitive to electrodes.
    Last edited by zagam; 05-22-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Yoda

I had mine removed. It was put in in 1986, and removed in 1987. The stimulator position that been revised three times before that. Didn't get any relief in any position.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.