Thread: Abercrombie & Fitch brand Hollister found guilty of discriminating against disabled s

Abercrombie & Fitch brand Hollister found guilty of discriminating against disabled s

Abercrombie & Fitch brand Hollister found guilty of discriminating against disabled shoppers over 'inaccessible' stores

http:// http://www.dailymail.co.uk/f...le-stores.html

Color me shocked that parent company Abercrombie is up to discrimination again. This is all part of their "look policy." In 2009, they were sued because they discriminated against a teenage girl with a prosthetic arm. She didn't fit their look policy, and they made her work in their store room where no one would have to see her artificial limb. Classy stuff.

You'd think they would have learned, since they had already paid out $40 million in a federal discrimination settlement in 2003, in which it was shown they promoted whites above blacks, hispanics, and asians.

They don't want people in wheelchairs ruining the cool aesthetic of their stores. That's why they have stairs out front, and bar the side entrance with tables loaded with clothing. Plus, screw the side entrance. We're not second class citizens. CEO Mike Jeffries broke down Abercrombie's policy in an interview for Salon:

“Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either,”

Jeffries acts like he is selling something to be proud of. I would be ashamed be seen in his clothing.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Couple months after my daughter was injured we went to an A&F. She was excited to be out of rehab for a day (still had a month left). I had to move tables the whole time and was not shy about it. These people had no idea what she had been through. We finally had everything she wanted to buy, moved a few more tables so my daughter could make it to the register. Paid. We turned to leave and an employee had moved every table and rack I had moved. She was still moving them when I said, "Well that is a waste of time, we'll just have to move them all again on our way out." (I SO wanted to add, "you're not too bright are you?) The employee didn't even help, I just moved them all wide enough for wheelchair access.

This kind of attitude starts at the top.

I'm happy to say that, that A&F is now empty and the last thing my daughter would wear is anything from A&F or Holister. She won't wear the big logos or store names anymore....that is true of a lot of kids right now. Seems those stores had their day.

If you go in any store with blocked aisles, call the building inspector and fire department. Its against the law everywhere to block egress in case of fire.

I pass by this store in the mall and I have noticed stairs at the entrance. Is there a ramp to the side? I've been in this store once when I was in fort worth shopping with my sister and nieces. I can't for shit remember how I got into the store though. Is this store doing well? My nieces go to H&M, charlotte russe and forever21.

Most of the shops in the mall are pretty good at accessability, but there are a few stores such as claire's and icing that are tight. I still go into them though cuz the stuff is cheap. I'm sure big people and moms with strollers have a hard time too.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child