Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Huge difference between Force and sit up straight bike in Marathons

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I may even cancel on going to the event, now the forcast is saying low 40's and rain the mourning of the event we start at 8am and I'm not much of a mourning person. I can't even get use to the temps in the 60's let alone the 40's. I got back from Florida ten days ago, I wanted to take my mother out for dinner mothers day as she lives here in R.I, I know, awwwwww. Darn though, I'm having trouble getting motivated now for this marathon, it's a 6 hour drive up there too, hotel was going to be $250.00 and I have a sailing event right after the marathon (3 days later) and then a tennis tournament and I don't want to be sick or have a cold for those things.
    I had a hard time driving 45 min in the rain in April to do a Half on my Force G I couldn't imagine driving 6hrs to race in the rain either.

It's mainly racing it in the rain, around 3 years ago it was bad weather and no fun, nearly ran off the road of few times and the brakes on the handcycle where fading pretty bad. I'm worried about getting sick too, I'm not use to it being that cold
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

It's mainly racing it in the rain, around 3 years ago it was bad weather and no fun, nearly ran off the road of few times and the brakes on the handcycle where fading pretty bad. I'm worried about getting sick too, I'm not use to it being that cold
    I don't train in the rain and that race in April was the first and last time unless its a real big race but it just isn't fun especially when its cold on top of it, if it was a warm rain in the summer it would be different I think.

I know it sounds like it's going to miserable, but I am good friends with the guy who organizes the handcycle division and he has worked so hard over the years to keep handcycles in this marathon, I feel I should go. Here is a article about him, he is a amazing guy, he trains real hard, unlike me, lol. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...monter-s-drive
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Nice article. yes it makes you feel obligated to go..it would kinda b a hard decision

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    EAK, just be careful with the headrest bracket. It's pretty thin aluminum and if you adjust it all the way to its highest point it can bend fairly easy.
    Thanks I'll keep an eye on it. Just got it and in the process of tweaking things to fit me. Don't want to hijack Curt's thread though so if I hit a snag or have any questions will start a new thread.

Curt good luck out there in the rain and cold if you decide to do it.

curt, our first marathon this year, carmel Indiana in april was like 20 degree windchill. in the morning a 5am our cars were covered in ice. we froze but finished.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm doing the race, the heck with it, I've spent a lot of time preparing for it, I don't want all that time to have been a waste of time. I've got good disc brakes, good tires, so as long as the roads are not icing over I should be fine.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I'm doing the race, the heck with it, I've spent a lot of time preparing for it, I don't want all that time to have been a waste of time. I've got good disc brakes, good tires, so as long as the roads are not icing over I should be fine.
    Good luck in the Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    curt, our first marathon this year, carmel Indiana in april was like 20 degree windchill. in the morning a 5am our cars were covered in ice. we froze but finished.
    I never knew carmel had a marathon.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.