Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Huge difference between Force and sit up straight bike in Marathons

since they are 3 yrs old i'd add sealant to all 3. just for piece of mind. tubulars are easy. use tufo glue tape. my wife helps me do mine you'll breeze through it. I leave a 3 inch un taped spot opposite the valve stem so you can peel them off.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_QFWLiUDE

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    John I'd put some of that white gooey sealer in one of the tires last summer because it seemed to have a slow leak and it worked, it stays right up there now, think I should do that with all the tires, this was the stuff called "inflate a flat" and I just put it in right through the schrader valve adapter I use on the tires. Should I do that on the tires to be safe? You spoke of Stans, I know that is a type of sealant too, is the main reason you recommend this for flat protection? I am kinda nervous about getting a flat in the marathon, these tires have been used for 3 season, I just can't justify changing them out though because they look perfect. It's not easy to change these tubulars, they have to be glued to rims. I think at some point this summer I'll just take all three rims to the bike shop with new tubular tires and have them put them on for me. I seriously have never dealt with tubular tires before, loads of experience with clinchers, but non with tubulars. I do really like them better than the clinchers, they seem tougher and take super high pressures. I put em up to around 150 yesterday and don't think I'm going to fool with them anymore before the marathon as long as they feel hard race day. Nothing worse than airing up a tire the mourning of the big race and then bammmmm.

Security is gonna be tough a this race, this is the first real big marathon since the Boston event. I've been getting all kinds of emails about increased security and to allow a lot of extra time than normal.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks John, good video, does not look too bad, but I can't imagine doing that during a race if one of the tires blows out. I'm impressed with these tires though. Run over all kinds of stuff with them and they still look new 3 years later, pretty amazing. I know I probably should change them out, but like I said they still look new and I don't see any reason, although I may not be saying that if one of them blows out the first few miles of the marathon.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt! Amazing your tires lasted 3 years. I've had my bike less then two years and I'm on my third set. Must be are ruff roads. So about how many miles do you think you have on you sow-ups?

Patrick! Great idea about the lights, will look into that. The lights at the bike shop are way to wimpy.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Thanks guys for all the great info, just purchased my first handcycle (Force RX) and can't wait to jump in and start the adventure.

EAK, just be careful with the headrest bracket. It's pretty thin aluminum and if you adjust it all the way to its highest point it can bend fairly easy.

Darn, the weather does not look good up in VT for the Marathon Sunday, 46 degrees in the mourning and raining, yuck. Did that marathon once in the pouring rain and it was no fun, glasses kept getting fogged up, nearly crashed twice, glad I had a disc brake otherwise probably woulda crashed for sure on some of those steep downhills going into sharp curves. I should have stayed in Florida, 83 degrees everyday and sunny. All it does here in New england is rain, drizzle and the cold is bothering me, I'm so use to warm weather I guess I'm spoiled.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

You have great competitive spirit Curt, I bet the changes you made will pay dividends in Vermont. It is important to get all your changes made well in advance of the race as you did. In 1983 or 84 I did the Orange Bowl Marathon. Back then most were using race chairs made by Jerry Smith of Handcrafted Metals. His assistant was Chris Peterson now of Top End/Invacare fame. We had 8" pneumatic front casters and the chairs were very tippy to avoid weight loading on front casters. Jerry Smith had come up with a cam lever called a "hill climber" which allowed the racer to drop the front of the cage to load weight over front casters for hills. Anyway, we old folks digress a lot. I caught up to a racer and started drafting when I realized blood was coming up off his rear wheels and splattering me. I told him and he was already aware - he had just loosened his seat before the race so that his stroke could get him to the bottom of his pushrims, as a result every few strokes the tire was cutting his armpits. Despite this he did not want to stop and quit or get out and readjust the seat. I told him he was picking up horrible germs from Miami streets and depositing them in his bloody armpits. Eventually, he did decide to stop, I don't know if he ever finished. Anyhow, the moral of the story is to get all your changes well before the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Darn, the weather does not look good up in VT for the Marathon Sunday, 46 degrees in the mourning and raining, yuck. Did that marathon once in the pouring rain and it was no fun, glasses kept getting fogged up, nearly crashed twice, glad I had a disc brake otherwise probably woulda crashed for sure on some of those steep downhills going into sharp curves. I should have stayed in Florida, 83 degrees everyday and sunny. All it does here in New england is rain, drizzle and the cold is bothering me, I'm so use to warm weather I guess I'm spoiled.
    You left Florida? I would stay just for the weather (: it rains so much here it is real hard to ride/train until June.

Good luck Sunday Im sure you will be fine even though Im with you about Racing in the rain and cold. Its not fun.

I may even cancel on going to the event, now the forcast is saying low 40's and rain the mourning of the event we start at 8am and I'm not much of a mourning person. I can't even get use to the temps in the 60's let alone the 40's. I got back from Florida ten days ago, I wanted to take my mother out for dinner mothers day as she lives here in R.I, I know, awwwwww. Darn though, I'm having trouble getting motivated now for this marathon, it's a 6 hour drive up there too, hotel was going to be $250.00 and I have a sailing event right after the marathon (3 days later) and then a tennis tournament and I don't want to be sick or have a cold for those things.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I caught up to a racer and started drafting when I realized blood was coming up off his rear wheels and splattering me. I told him and he was already aware - he had just loosened his seat before the race so that his stroke could get him to the bottom of his pushrims, as a result every few strokes the tire was cutting his armpits. Despite this he did not want to stop and quit or get out and readjust the seat. I told him he was picking up horrible germs from Miami streets and depositing them in his bloody armpits. Eventually, he did decide to stop, I don't know if he ever finished. Anyhow, the moral of the story is to get all your changes well before the race.
    Holy cow! I bet you stopped drafting him though.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.