Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Huge difference between Force and sit up straight bike in Marathons

How the hell can you average 20 mph on a hand cycle, that's the speed I used to ride on a road bike pre sci. Of course I was in my 30s and not 58 but still that just seems really fast to me. No matter how strong your arms are, your shoulders do not like this much speed, at least mine don't. The double amputees use there hole upper body while sitting upright, I think there the fastest hand cyclists out there.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

A strong tailwind helped me out the other day, especially when your sitting your sitting upright and big like me I'm like a sail. I was flying. Going back the other way though, not so lucky, lol.

Ya, good point about the older guys being able to afford the right equipment, it makes a huge difference. I shoulda just broken down and bought a new RX a year or two ago.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    You got that right about rough roads slowing ya down, up in Burlington VT where the marathon I'm doing is the roads are not very good after a long winter of freezing temps, you find yourself dodging the pot holes, one year I dodged one a little too fast and went up on one wheel on the back and rode it for around a 1/8 mile, I had people clapping at me on the sidelines, they thought it was part of the show, lol. I just feel like a complete idiot for not having worked things out with a lay back design bike and be riding that. I am going to really spend some time tomorrow with the lay back seat I have for the freedom ryder and see if I can get that dialed in. When I tried it before a couple years ago I laid it back all the way. I'm going to try a comprimise this time around and only go back around 1/2 way and see how that feels, talk about waiting until the last minute though, what the freak is wrong with me, lol? At least I'm in fairly good shape after playing grueling tennis all winter, did not ride as much as I generally do, but we had two really good coaches really pushing us with the tennis and I'm feeling really strong right now. I did 15 miles yesterday in 45 minutes on the handcycle, but that was with a really strong tailwind on a flat bike path. going back it was around double going against the wind. Sitting up nearly straight really screws you up going into a headwind, not as noticable when laying back reclined. The other thing I'm up against this last week is looks like it will be raining most of the time here in crappy new england, man, wish I'd just stayed in Sunny Florida, I'm missing it.
    yes curt, just buy an rx. talk about rough roads, we did the Cleveland marathoin yesterday. rough roads due to construction. great day thou. I knocked 5 minutes off my personal best.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I had the same with my 650c wheels. Had to dodge potholes and cracks all the time. Especially with the Powerpod pushing at 20mph. One I changed over to a 559 wheel with Schwalbe Evolution tires that all changed. I haven't had a hint of a flat since I changed over. Was sure worth it. Also had to change out the brake. Love this bike so much.

Good luck on Sunday Curt. Main thing is to have fun. I doubt there are many out there still riding at our ages and time in a chair. I don't recall any 55 year old coming in first overall on anything with the younguns running against them.
    actually our winner was 67 yesterday 2nd 65. 1.36 and 1.46. amazing. on rxs of course. same guy cleaned canton last year too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Wow, that's good news all they way around John. I think I'm just going to sell my tractor which I'm not using anymore, been sitting the garage collecting dust and get a RX and have myself measured and all to make sure it fits me exactly right and that I get all the right options. This will give more space in the garage too for my handcycles.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    How the hell can you average 20 mph on a hand cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqkH16WkP3s

From 2012 Melbourne Marathon. These guys are averaging over 20.

Great video, love the music. Believe me, I don't regularly average 20 mph or anything, but the tailwind was strong that day, I average more like around 13 on the flat, I think it could be more like around 16 on a lay down Force. I generally finish these marathons around mid pack.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqkH16WkP3s

From 2012 Melbourne Marathon. These guys are averaging over 20.

I was middle of the pack before I crashed. We were cruising at 23 before the first bridge. The guys in the front are cruising over 25 on the flats. It is not that hard to hold 20 in a double pace line with 60 handcycles. The bridges separate the men from the boys though. I got dropped at the first bridge, then I tried to take a tight corner at 18 on the second lap and crashed pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    How the hell can you average 20 mph on a hand cycle, that's the speed I used to ride on a road bike pre sci. Of course I was in my 30s and not 58 but still that just seems really fast to me. No matter how strong your arms are, your shoulders do not like this much speed, at least mine don't. The double amputees use there hole upper body while sitting upright, I think there the fastest hand cyclists out there.
    I train with ABs on road bikes. They put me right in the middle of them, and a couple of the really strong riders will bump my draft bar with their front wheel to keep me up with the group. They bump me along at 25 or so on the flats, and I had one guy bump me up a bridge at just over 15mph.