Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Huge difference between Force and sit up straight bike in Marathons

Huge difference between Force and sit up straight bike in Marathons

Heres an interesting video I just found on youtube. I wonder if this guy is on these forums? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XefZ-Am7TjI, that poor guy next to him at the starting line on the FHR got slaughtered, that will be me on Sunday, lol. Has anybody ever figured out what the difference difference between a lay down bike and up upright is in a 26 miles marathon? I figure it's gotta be at least 20 minutes advantage towards the lay down? I'm surprised there are not different divisions between the two bikes. It just seems unfair for the guys riding the older technology handcycles. Anyhow, good video, this guy rocks, he did the first half mile with the brake on and still turned a 1.29, looks like the course is fairly flat though, it's in Wisconsen.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Really its apples to oranges depends on the person and the course.

A guy on an R on a flat course that can maintain a decent average speed will be faster then the same guy on a more upright bike due to aerodynamics.

Now put them both on a hilly course and that could change as it takes out some aerodynamics and comes down to power.

I have seen a force R beat an Kneeler and vice versa.

Here is a interesting video on positioning on the Force R. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWB_F...ture=endscreen Man, did I get behind the 8 ball on all this. I could be much more competitive than I am if I had the right equipment and the right set up. Now I just feel like a big dummy. Oh well, I'm just gonna try to have fun in the upcoming marathon I have on Sunday.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt good luck on your upcoming marathon. All I can say is you guys are sure fast, I ride at about a 10 to 11 mph average, but I have an upright freedom rider and something else I have noticed is that are very very bumpy and ruff roads slow me down. I know this because when I drive to a bike trail, I'm going about 2MPH faster. The roads around here look like exposed aggregate, and your tires look like a hundred little ninjas attacked them with little swords, but its sure beats no riding at all. Those low rider bike do sure look fast, but are they just as fast going uphill? When going up a steep hill I use my stomach as well as the arms, something one could not do on the force R, but maybe that does not help as much as I'm thinking it does. After all no matter how much you use your gut to help, the arms are still between your body and the crank arms.
    Last edited by flying; 05-20-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

You got that right about rough roads slowing ya down, up in Burlington VT where the marathon I'm doing is the roads are not very good after a long winter of freezing temps, you find yourself dodging the pot holes, one year I dodged one a little too fast and went up on one wheel on the back and rode it for around a 1/8 mile, I had people clapping at me on the sidelines, they thought it was part of the show, lol. I just feel like a complete idiot for not having worked things out with a lay back design bike and be riding that. I am going to really spend some time tomorrow with the lay back seat I have for the freedom ryder and see if I can get that dialed in. When I tried it before a couple years ago I laid it back all the way. I'm going to try a comprimise this time around and only go back around 1/2 way and see how that feels, talk about waiting until the last minute though, what the freak is wrong with me, lol? At least I'm in fairly good shape after playing grueling tennis all winter, did not ride as much as I generally do, but we had two really good coaches really pushing us with the tennis and I'm feeling really strong right now. I did 15 miles yesterday in 45 minutes on the handcycle, but that was with a really strong tailwind on a flat bike path. going back it was around double going against the wind. Sitting up nearly straight really screws you up going into a headwind, not as noticable when laying back reclined. The other thing I'm up against this last week is looks like it will be raining most of the time here in crappy new england, man, wish I'd just stayed in Sunny Florida, I'm missing it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt, Don't worry about the cycle.... it is your age that is going to get you

I'm riding a Force G which is an upright bike. Got it a few years ago. Everything has changed now. Sure wish I had a Force RX.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Curt good luck on your upcoming marathon. All I can say is you guys are sure fast, I ride at about a 10 to 11 mph average, but I have an upright freedom rider and something else I have noticed is that are very very bumpy and ruff roads slow me down. I know this because when I drive to a bike trail, I'm going about 2MPH faster. The roads around here look like exposed aggregate, and your tires look like a hundred little ninjas attacked them with little swords, but its sure beats no riding at all. Those low rider bike do sure look fast, but are they just as fast going uphill? When going up a steep hill I use my stomach as well as the arms, something one could not do on the force R, but maybe that does not help as much as I'm thinking it does. After all no matter how much you use your gut to help, the arms are still between your body and the crank arms.

I had the same with my 650c wheels. Had to dodge potholes and cracks all the time. Especially with the Powerpod pushing at 20mph. One I changed over to a 559 wheel with Schwalbe Evolution tires that all changed. I haven't had a hint of a flat since I changed over. Was sure worth it. Also had to change out the brake. Love this bike so much.

Good luck on Sunday Curt. Main thing is to have fun. I doubt there are many out there still riding at our ages and time in a chair. I don't recall any 55 year old coming in first overall on anything with the younguns running against them.

Hey guys don't let your age hold you down. Look up Scott Mcniece, Dane Pilon, Krige Schabort, Hans Frei, Franz Neitlshbeck. They are all old enough to race masters, but fast enough to win overall. Most of the really fast guys in handcycling are over 40.

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    Hey guys don't let your age hold you down. Look up Scott Mcniece, Dane Pilon, Krige Schabort, Hans Frei, Franz Neitlshbeck. They are all old enough to race masters, but fast enough to win overall. Most of the really fast guys in handcycling are over 40.
    That's because it takes that long to save up for the equipment.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    That's because it takes that long to save up for the equipment.

Agree with that, I've bought cars for less than I paid for my handcycle.

So I just pulled up the results from the Melbourne Marathon. I remember seeing a lot of gray hair there.

5 of the top 10 are 50 or over. 15 of the top 20 are 40 or over. 67 year old finished under 1:30. I had to scroll down to 19th place to find someone under 30 years old.