Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whadda ya think a concrete ramp for this will cost?

When we bought our last place in Maryland there was a step up from the drive to the front of the house part of the walk and then 2 rather low deep steps into the house in a recessed porch area. The place was on a slab with wood siding when we bought it. The entire place was 20 years old then and we replaced the drive and had the walk graded so it was even at the threshold. I'm guessing here but I'd say the entire demolition and redo of the drive/walk and grading was around $4,500. back in 1992. That was high because a good deal of the work was so close to the house it had to be done with hand tools not machines.

If you seriously start looking find a realtor that understands that you want a single story but with wide halls. Damn difficult to widen interior doors with narrow halls. Then before doing any concrete work other than a few estimates get a good landcape designer in. They don't cost that much so give him your wish list. Once you get the plans and an estimate pay the designer off and thank him/her. They are great at pinpointing if the walk should be further away from the house or widened. They give you the names of the plants, upkeep, whether underground water sprinklers work in your area and how to fix your backyard area for ground level decks (these cost a fortune and Home Depot, etc do not build them). Once you have a landscape plan that fits you then call in the final concrete folks on what you want. The landscape planting and stuff is much easier on the wallet if you go to a good local nursery who pitch you a plants/trees plus labor price that beats any designer costs. We basically had a very low maintainence set up with a company that mowed the front yard once a week for $25 and skipped mid-summer when the grass went into heat hibernation. Each spring cost us about $350 for a complete spring clean up of trimmed hedges, shrubs, cut back decorative grasses, edged all the walk and drive, seeded bare spots from dog pee and then mulched everything. They were cheap because his company did not do trees or mess with fertilizers. Those require higher workman comp policy prices and EPA classes and expensive permits.

If you're looking north of the border most areas are still great buys and bargain bidding works. :-)
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

My last house had door-porch-steps-sidewalk-driveway. Tore out the steps so it went door-porch-ramp-driveway. It was all concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    ... Once you get the plans and an estimate pay the designer off and thank him/her...
    I did this with both my home and irrigation system. Do your own contracting with professional plans.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I've been kicking around a weekend home idea. Buy something much like this and adapt it. The front door has a couple steps involved, so that would have to go.

Any experiences/costs with having a walkway ripped out and a graded concrete walk installed in its place that you could share?
    Why not just do a nice wood ramp up with a platform at the top and tear out those railings on the little landing, that would work best in my opinion and only cost around a grand maybe less depending on who does it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Why not just do a nice wood ramp up with a platform at the top and tear out those railings on the little landing, that would work best in my opinion and only cost around a grand maybe less depending on who does it.
    We didn't because of covenants. The local board would approve a wood but not metal ramp but it took weeks. We didn't need approval for replacement in kind and if anyone had brought up the unseen grading that gave us a flat in they'd be facing a lawyer specializing in the ADA guidelines law.

As it turned out after our grading several others on our cul de sac did the same when replacing their drives.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I should have a ramp or something. My retired carpenter friend told me if I buy the wood the carpenters union would provide the labor for free to build one. It might be the same in your neck of the woods.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Some good info.

On the garage only access...I kinda want every door to actually work for me, if I'm doing this, might as well not have anything there to annoy me.

Pro landscaping design...great idea. I was thinking of an irrigation system also. I should note that this particular place sure had some non-pro design, lol. Trees randomly scattered on the lot. Some sort of property line delineation using a few boxwoods (those are some speed demon growth bushes, lol). And it seems just plain odd choices. I think I'd use some sort of columnar conifers for the property line like some Degroot's Arbs, or columnar Junipers. And get rid of the few trees (for clear airspace for a hobby of mine). I do have some ideas for what I want landscape-wise, it would be a hobby of mine. But you definitely can tell when someone didn't have much thought used when doing this

Wood ramps...I don't like 'em. And I'm shopping stuff that's low and not needing much ramp work also. If I gotta grade, it will be with concrete, not wood due to preference.

HOA's...if it has one, I'm not buying. I hate that concept. But what I'm thinking is something rural enough so it's cheap, and more likely not to have them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Some good info.

On the garage only access...I kinda want every door to actually work for me, if I'm doing this, might as well not have anything there to annoy me.

Pro landscaping design...great idea. I was thinking of an irrigation system also. I should note that this particular place sure had some non-pro design, lol. Trees randomly scattered on the lot. Some sort of property line delineation using a few boxwoods (those are some speed demon growth bushes, lol). And it seems just plain odd choices. I think I'd use some sort of columnar conifers for the property line like some Degroot's Arbs, or columnar Junipers. And get rid of the few trees (for clear airspace for a hobby of mine). I do have some ideas for what I want landscape-wise, it would be a hobby of mine. But you definitely can tell when someone didn't have much thought used when doing this

Wood ramps...I don't like 'em. And I'm shopping stuff that's low and not needing much ramp work also. If I gotta grade, it will be with concrete, not wood due to preference. A product like Trex for a ramp is absolutely no maintenance, won't crack, spall or have efflorescence, comes in various colors to blend with the house and landscape, can easily be removed by the next owner, if not needed or wanted.

HOA's...if it has one, I'm not buying. I hate that concept. But what I'm thinking is something rural enough so it's cheap, and more likely not to have them in the first place.
    I felt the same way you do about having access from all doors, but my wife (an AB) hardly ever uses the front door to come and go and in our situation the front door is just several feet from the door into the garage for access and safety. For us and the way our front door, walkway, driveway is situated it would have meant a major rework of these elements on top of the cost of ramping.

All the best,
    GJ

Yep, I like access to all doors to, but wood ramps don't bother me at all if done right.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

It wasn't exactly your regular HOA. Google Columbia MD. It is a corporation not an actual city or town. It did have a lot of bennies that were very nice for chair users.

We created a green courtyard in front using dwarf boxwoods. They filled in quickly and as long as they are trimmed correctly every year or so will look terrific for decades. Don't plant too close to walkways. Leave the snow some room on any plants not you. Yea, our place came with compound leaf trees and the county used Siberian elms near curbs and those shed whirlly gigs and smaller branches like crazy. Personally, I'd go for blue spruces over arborvites due to spring winds and summer heat burn but I haven't kept up with improvements in the species. How do you plan on snow removal? Might check out the new fangled heated drives but I'd want to talk to many happy customers before deciding.