Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whadda ya think a concrete ramp for this will cost?

Whadda ya think a concrete ramp for this will cost?

I've been kicking around a weekend home idea. Buy something much like this and adapt it. The front door has a couple steps involved, so that would have to go.

Any experiences/costs with having a walkway ripped out and a graded concrete walk installed in its place that you could share?

Don't know in the mid-west, but, I can see some really nasty stretch marks in the concrete driveway from that thing that followed you home.......

LOL...it does have quite the 'launch pad' there, eh?

I think some other vehicles up on blocks would fill in the space nicely, along with a spare fridge, couch, etc on the front lawn...

Too much unless you go with decking instead. It looks like you would be above the foundation on both sides, so that would have to be dealt with as wooden members (here) are supposed to be six inches above ground level.

I'd try to find one that doesn't have the front door recessed like that one does.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Andy,
    Figure your length x wide x depth of concrete and then divide by 27. That will give you the yardage. Add another 5% to play it safe. Concrete in the northeast is running about $120 a yard. Flat work masons usually double the yardage cost for an estimate. I would go 5' wide and 6 inches thick with the concrete. Also use a 3500 pound mix. If your frost is bad, I would also make sure you have a good stone base and maybe throw fiberglass mesh in the mix if available from the cement yard. It will help with the cracks. Good luck
    Best Regards,
    Joe

If you put in a CC ramp think about ice melter coils in it, just to be safe on the way to "the thing that followed you home"!

Two steps is only a foot high, so not so much concrete if you can start at the existing porch with the slope and keep it away from the building.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for the tips guys.

So you think there would be a problem if I wanted concrete to the door itself vs. having wood near that area so as to stay below the foundation level? I cant tell from the photo, but I did see this place, and if I remember right, the steps up and possibly the deck in front of the door were some sort of stone/cement. Cant say for sure though

The picture is grainy Andy, so it's hard to say, but as long as you keep from pouring concrete against untreated wooden members you should be okay.

Do you have to go through the front door with ramped access? Could you ramp inside the garage and use that as your entrance? My home has two steps up at the front door, but my ramped access is through the garage. I also have ramped access from the back of my house into the garden.

Just a thought.

All the best,
    GJ