Thread: tires for travel

tires for travel

I'm going on a long trip next month overseas, and I really want to be sure my tires are good to go. My current ones I've had for 9 months, using on and off road, have recently shown some pretty good gouges in the already bald tread area. They do seem to be holding pressure fine, though. Is it time to change?

I remember somebody said when they stowed their chair in plane cargo, they said they couldn't have inflated tires. Is this true for most airlines? I've read the airline's pollicy on chairs that I'm flying with, and it never said anything about tires or tire pressure restrictions.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to change out tires before I go. Suggestions? Thanks!

Deflating your tires when you fly is an urban myth.

Myth: You need to let the air out of your tires before shipping your bike on an airplane - if you don't, the tires will explode.

Assume your tire at sea level, pumped to 100 psi. Air pressure at sea level is (about) 15psi. Therefore, the highest pressure which can be reached in the tire is 100+15=115psi. Ergo: There is no need to deflate bicycle tires prior to flight to avoid explosions.

-Sheldon Brown
    If anyone tries to tell you that you "must" deflate them, ask them if they deflate the plane's tires while flying. Then point at the side of your tire where the pressure rating range is and tell them that even with the pressure differential during flight, your wheels will stay within the manufacturers recommended safety range. The big words should confuse them, but if there is still a problem, ask to speak to a manager.

Even better, if a pilot around, ask them to inform the check in clerk. The pilot will laugh.

A properly assembled wheelchair wheel in good condition wouldn't explode even if you depressurized the outside air pressure to a vacuum. Remember that on your next trip to the space station.

The Space Shuttle had tires too.
    Last edited by IsMaisin; 05-19-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Thanks, IsMasin. That reassures me a lot. I may go ahead and get some better tires for my trip, since they should do fine in transit. Marathons to avid flats, I'm thinking.

Blog Entries
    I would suggest that you upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires with Schwalbe tubes. They are nearly indestructible with normal use and they have great rolling properties when properly inflated.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

both bike on and Sportaid had big delays due to manufacturer backorder. I ordered them before I found out. I need them really soon.... their customer services is great, though. They told me about the backorder, and allowed me to switch to schwalbe right runs. They're still a step up from my current kendas.

Quote Originally Posted by voxina View Post
    both bike on and Sportaid had big delays due to manufacturer backorder. I ordered them before I found out. I need them really soon.... their customer services is great, though. They told me about the backorder, and allowed me to switch to schwalbe right runs. They're still a step up from my current kendas.
    Just got off the phone with Schwalbe on another question. Jeff said they now have 11,000 units in stock. I think that was the number, maybe it includes other types too. So those backorder notices should be coming down soon.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Kix or Shox tires. You will never regret switching.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003