Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is a TiLite 'reinforced frame'?

I have broken several frames in the past and I was planning to use a power assistance (smart drive or Firefly), so I ordered a reinforced frame, I was told about thicker walled tubing and adding 1.1 lbs weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I talked with TiLite about it, as I ordered it, and was told what Stephen listed, the thicker tubing. I was curious of an approximate weight difference and the person didn't know but guessed 1 lbs at best.

FWIW, I have a Reinforced frame and I have a titanium backrest.
    My bad. Most of the exclusions I listed are for the Power Adaptable or HD options.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Speaking of SlipStream forks...how long have those been out, and how many broke so far? ...
    Laid a hard whack to my one-year-old Slipstreamed ZR last summer. Had a surprise portside caster-wobble while downhilling way too fast over smooth blacktop. Sent chair and 180#-me skidding 6' to starboard. Gripping tires and rims, I pitched right on over the starboard fork/5"FLAHSR to ground. Deeply gouged the outer edge of the hub but that was it other than an unhappy right palm.

Turned out the swing on my factory-set port fork was way too loose and – ZR up on a glass table – the caster was just barely touching. Stiffened fork tension, adjusted the virtually-unadjustable titanium frame to better ground the caster and presto, no more wobble issues. Subsquent stupid, outdoor crashes have embarrassed me ... but not the Slipstreams.

Tough Stuff Methinks.

Speaking of SlipStream forks...how long have those been out, and how many broke so far? I get kind of scared seeing the constant bending stresses of a single-sided fork arm, and the face-plant possibilities when that aluminum gives up the ghost and fractures
    I have confidence in the Slipstream but judging from appearance (admittedly not a scientific measure) the Unitine looks more robust, especially the way it tapers into the caster hub.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=141855

I believe that there are too many variables to generalize about the durability of any fork design. Weight of the user and the type of use would be important considerations. I've broken too many caster hubs to believe that the support given to the caster isn't a concern that needs to be factored in the evaluation.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Speaking of SlipStream forks...how long have those been out, and how many broke so far? I get kind of scared seeing the constant bending stresses of a single-sided fork arm, and the face-plant possibilities when that aluminum gives up the ghost and fractures
    Personally, I think having a tine supporting each end of the caster axle is better than having just one tine at one end.

We recently had a new ZRA come in which had 5" LiteSpeed soft rolls on SlipStream forks. The end user was already using SlipStream's on another ZRA with 4"x1" TiLite Performance soft rolls and wanted them on his new chair.

Everything felt fine when we first inspected the new chair.
    Once I hopped in to take it for a spin, one of the forks locked up mid-swivel--causing the caster to scrub sideways and screech loudly whenever I attempted to turn.

I removed them and inspected the top surface of the fork and the dust caps. They looked absolutely normal. I did detect a very slight rubbing between the dust cap and the top of one fork, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the friction caused by corrosion on my 5 year old forks which continue to work just fine. I polished the surfaces of the dust cap and SlipStream. It was OK for a bit when I tried out the chair a second time, but it began locking up again the next day.

We tried swapping out the new SlipStreams with the older one's on his old ZRA. Problem solved!

What was even more surprising was that the new SlipStreams worked just fine on the old ZRA!

There were no obvious defects. It wasn't detectable unless someone was actually sitting in the chair. I can't explain why they worked just fine on one chair, but not the other. Sure the casters may have had something to do with it, but those types of things shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Long story long, fork stems, caster axles, casters, and bearings will be more likely to retain their respective parallel and perpendicular relationships to one another if there tines supporting each end of the caster axle instead of just one.

My AeroZ1 has a reinforced frame - it's not observable except in the specs.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Old post here but "new" info. I was told by a friend that the "Reinforced Frame" option is just an insurance policy, there is absolutely nothing done to the chair. I found this hard to believe in light of my conversation with customer service a few years ago when I ordered my current chair with this option. I as told that the frame would be thicker tubing with this option; I recall asking if the backrest would also have the thicker tubing and was told yes. So I just called TiLite and I was told exactly what my friend said, nothing is done to the chair, it is simply an insurance policy (money maker).

I don't know if something changed or I was sold a story in the past.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Old post here but "new" info. I was told by a friend that the "Reinforced Frame" option is just an insurance policy, there is absolutely nothing done to the chair. I found this hard to believe in light of my conversation with customer service a few years ago when I ordered my current chair with this option. I as told that the frame would be thicker tubing with this option; I recall asking if the backrest would also have the thicker tubing and was told yes. So I just called TiLite and I was told exactly what my friend said, nothing is done to the chair, it is simply an insurance policy (money maker).

I don't know if something changed or I was sold a story in the past.
    Wow. I'm not sure which is worse, lying about the frame actually being "reinforced" or changing it to just be an "insurance policy" without anything actually be reinforced. A bunch of crap, either way. Guess TiLite considers their customers to be idiots worth BS'ing. Sad.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Wow, I kind of had a dick vibe coming from TiLite in another thread/topic, but now this particular subject being actually confirmed by TiLite, wow for sure. I do know that they didn't shortcut some things before with the 'reinforced' frame vs. the standard variety, but with no differences with the newer generations, hmmm. I guess it is easier to just take the money than update the order form