Thread: The $6000,000+ PowerBall Lottery

The $6000,000+ PowerBall Lottery

Tonight we are awaiting the draw for the second largest lottery prize in the history of lotteries in America. Did you buy a ticket? Do you buy lottery tickets regularly or only whey they reach these astronomical amounts? Do the odds, 1-in-175 million, deter you from buying a chance? How much do you spend on lottery tickets a year?

Just curious

All the best,
    GJ

I bought 7 tickets. It was the first time I had ever bought tickets before. The 600 million jackpot is what made me do it, even though I know it is nearly impossible to win. I was also with a friend who bought one, so while I was waiting for her to fill it out, I thought, why not? I didn't win the jackpot, but I won $14 for having the powerball. That was good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Tonight we are awaiting the draw for the second largest lottery prize in the history of lotteries in America. Did you buy a ticket? Do you buy lottery tickets regularly or only whey they reach these astronomical amounts? Do the odds, 1-in-175 million, deter you from buying a chance? How much do you spend on lottery tickets a year?

Just curious

All the best,
    GJ
    Never bought any, never will

There's a saying... the lottery is a tax on the poor.

I'll play if I get a ticket as a gift, then play with any winnings. Tops I've played on this method is $15/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post

I'll play if I get a ticket as a gift, then play with any winnings. Tops I've played on this method is $15/yr.
    There's another saying as well... a poor man's dream

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post

Me too. Give them as stocking stuffers at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    There's another saying as well... a poor man's dream
    Exactly! Only the lottery commission makes any money on it. And now many states count on it as part of their budget -- sad really.

Many experts say, however, that even when lottery money is targeted toward a particular purpose, such as education or environmental protection, it has little or no effect.

The lottery money does go to the intended cause. However, instead of adding to the funds for those programs, legislators factor in the lottery revenue and allocate less government money to the program budgets, says one lottery critic, Patrick Pierce, a political scientist at St. Mary's College in Indiana, who has analyzed the impact of lotteries.

If you live in Zephyr Hills Fl check your ticket, you could have the sole winning ticket. As for me and my wife all our grandiose dreams have gone up in smoke. For me, the price of a couple of tickets allows us to indulge fantasies of enormous wealth for 3 or 4 days until the winner is picked and we find we didn't have any numbers. Life is serious business, it's nice to have something like this as a distraction.

I do play...maybe $20/yr.

I take it out of my entertainment budget. Good mental exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-k View Post
    Me too. Give them as stocking stuffers at Christmas.

Exactly! Only the lottery commission makes any money on it. And now many states count on it as part of their budget -- sad really.
    Doesn't a lot go towards education?

Teach your children well!

American dream = chance of winning the lottery (?)

My sister friends hit the Florida lottery back in 1997, I believe that was the year for 14.7 million. They still play.