Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: W2W - Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I wouldn't want to speak for him, he's crabby enough as it is

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    My understanding is that StemCyte have committed substantial funds to the UCB+Li trial. You can find the ballpark figures in another thread somewhere but it's definitely a lot more than the value of just UCB (millions of $$).

Let's not dress this up as a humanitarian "donation". It's business. StemCyte have a vested interest in order to market their cells for as many indications as possible.
    I agree it is business and not humanitarian.

Why am I being asked to give a dollar a day. Why isn't Stemcyte footing the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    I agree it is business and not humanitarian.

Why am I being asked to give a dollar a day. Why isn't Stemcyte footing the bill?
    Why shouldn't people be compensated for committing a portion of
    their lives, or ask you to contribute financially to fixing your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck503 View Post
    Why shouldn't people be compensated for committing a portion of
    their lives, or ask you to contribute financially to fixing your problem?
    My point is they must not be confident in the animal models if they weren't the ones who proposed, conducted, and financed the trial.

I'm not saying that it is wrong to ask me to contribute, I'm asking why it is occurring. As in why is a non-profit spinal cord injury community organization conducting the trial as opposed to a for profit company?

My point is they must not be confident in the animal models if they weren't the ones who proposed, conducted, and financed the trial.

I'm not saying that it is wrong to ask me to contribute, I'm asking why it is occurring. As in why is a non-profit spinal cord injury community organization conducting the trial as opposed to a for profit company?
    I think that Stemcyte didn't want to put too much money in SCI as it is a very high risk investment for them.

See this post for more info about the agreement between Stemcyte & Rutgers http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...4&postcount=14

Outsourcing clinical trials it is probably a way to keep costs under control & also to stay out of troubles in case of adverse effects of the therapy.

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 06-02-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Right. They donated the cells and supported the trials financially because they aren't confident in the animal models.
    StemCyte is a relatively small company. http://www.justadollarplease.org/f-a-q/why-do-clinical-trials-cost-so-much/
    Last edited by crabbyshark; 06-02-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbyshark View Post
    Right. They donated the cells and supported the trials financially because they aren't confident in the animal models.
    StemCyte is a relatively small company. http://www.justadollarplease.org/f-a-q/why-do-clinical-trials-cost-so-much/
    a) This is a distraction from my main point, because it is moot. Even if you can talk a company into paying/conducting human trials without proper animal model success, why would you want that? I don't get it. This is a pointless discussion.

b) Not including UCB, How much $ has Stemcyte invested into the trials?

c) UCB is a unique situation. They make money on parents storing their newborn’s UC blood in the hopes that it can potentially save their children’s lives, and even their own lives. It is a preventative measure. Having UCB trials in the media with a “might be able to cure SCI” is enough to get many worried parents to pay thousands each to store UC blood, bringing in revenue without FDA approval of treatment. Potential stem cell, genetic, and biomaterial treatments will not have that luxury. They will need to prove success to make their investment back.

a) This is a distraction from my main point, because it is moot. Even if you can talk a company into paying/conducting human trials without proper animal model success, why would you want that? I don't get it. This is a pointless discussion.
    The scientists and executives involved understand how chronic SCI works and have seen the proper animal models of success. I agree they will need to prove success to make investment back.
    Last edited by crabbyshark; 06-06-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Herndon is still leading a team and doing surgery. Still has a wicked love for his patients and his humor is still biting.
    His daily visit was always a highlight. Send him my regards. (Was there in '95)