Thread: New desktop - seeking advice

New desktop - seeking advice

Hello.
    I keep toying with idea of investing in new desktop. My 2004 Dell XPS keeps doing scary things and I'm getting tired of patching up things and suspect that I'll have to get a new machine shortly whether I want to or not.
    My big question is - do I want to go straight to Windows 8 from XP Pro or should I try to find something with Windows 7?
    I'd like to keep Office 2007 if at all possible.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    Hello.
    I keep toying with idea of investing in new desktop. My 2004 Dell XPS keeps doing scary things and I'm getting tired of patching up things and suspect that I'll have to get a new machine shortly whether I want to or not.
    My big question is - do I want to go straight to Windows 8 from XP Pro or should I try to find something with Windows 7?

Any opinions?

Thanks
    I have two computers, both running linux ubuntu.
    but they each have a dual boot into windows, windows 7 and the other one windows 8, I stay away from windows 8 at all possible
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I don't like Windows 8. I recently purchased a laptop and decided to buy a refurbished Windows 7 model instead of a new one with "8" installed.

By all means stick with Win7....Win8 has alienated a LOT of users by removing the start button and default desktop. Win8 is best suited for touch screens imo.

Oh....as far as a new desktop, just make sure it's Intel based and you will be good to go. Are you having a desktop built for you or you just going to buy one ready to go? If you have it 'built' then you get to select all the internal hardware thus assuring that everything is of good/high quality. Pre-built PCs are ok too cuz they have ok warranties and tech support....I recommend Dell or HP desktops.
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

I'm leaning towards another dell as I have an XPS that has served well for 9 years. Bought it right out of rehab when my wife got tired of messing around with my DIY machine.
    It just keeps acting up lately. Have to reboot too often. I've added RAM and installed a new HD when I started getting numerous chkdsk's at startup.

I wouldn't be adverse to buying refurb from Dell or Newegg.

I also understand that Consumer Reports typically give HP high grades.
    If I could do it today - I'd probably pick up a refurbished Dell from Newegg with Win 7.
    I'm not what you'd call an early adopter

Here at work - they're just getting around to moving up from XP Pro.
    And this is a statellite radio company.

Win8 gives you the option of having it look like Win7 if you don't like the new look. Both Dell and HP have nice small towers and are quality PCs.
    Just another tricky day. C5/6 incomplete, 43 years out.

You'll get through.

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    Hello.

Any opinions?

Thanks
    Unless you are using something like Quicken or some Windows proprietary program, you can do as Brucec says. I dual boot with Linux Unbuntu. You have programs (Libre) that are 100% compatible with MS Office 2007 (2010) and they are all FREE. You can go here: www.whylinuxisbetter.net and read about it. With the Ubuntu graphic user interface (GUI), you cannot tell you are not in windows except Linux is much, much faster and safer.

Good luck.

FYI: Window 8 has a huge makeover on the way and will give you back your desktop and Start button.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

. You also might consider getting an SSD drive that would definitely speed things up. Staying away from Windows 8
    C4 incomplete since 1985