Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bent button on quick release axle

I have extra small button axles we think should fit.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You don't need to remove the button and nut to measure the axle. You just need to get the axle out of the wheel. You can order axles on line from a bunch of places. What chair and wheels do you have. Someone here probably has the same and can tell you what length axle to order or someone at one of the on line stores should be able to figure the length.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    What is waiting for your DME gonna do? They'll still charge you, right? I don't think they'll give the part away for free.
    The one with the bent button they shouldn't be charging me to replace, I'm pretty sure my insurance is covering it? They didn't say on the phone that I'd be charged. But they may take the one with the bent button and not let me keep it. If they let me keep it, I'll go ahead and try to bend the button back to have it available as a spare. But I'd like a full spare set for my regular wheels, as well as a set to use with my spare wheels because they're unusable right now. When I have money I want to put some nice tires on the spare wheel set, maybe ones for outdoor stuff.

Talking to nonoise I'm just going to turn the nut until its in line with the start of the threads, then measure from the top of the nut down to the balls. That should give the same measurement as removing the nut and button would. Then add 1/2 inch to that measurement to get what size axles I need for the spare wheels, because the hub on the spare wheels is 1/2 inch wider than my main wheels. Hopefully that works! If anything is too long it can be dealt with by a spacer/washers below the nut a la sci_otr's suggestion. I'm really wanting to do that anyway, to make it so I could release the wheels with the palm of my hand instead of fingers, because pushing the button in is causing damage to the joints in my fingers.

The driver to take me to my Drs appt actually came in a wheelchair van. Only... He didn't lock my chair down on the way there (I wasn't in the chair) and it kept bouncing all around the back of the van. The brakes were on but he wasn't the... smoothest... driver. I kept wincing, I should probably check my chair all over for damage. Its working fine, but I'll be pissed if the paint or anything got messed up.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Grrr, I'm getting really irritated because its been over a month now and I still don't have a replacement axle. I called them again to check on things and they said that the medicaid approval hasn't come through yet. She's going to check if the axles are physically in the building and then call me back to discuss trying to get the medicaid approval through.

Measuring from the top of the thread to where the balls start appears to be 4.5 inches on my current axle, and so adding in half an inch for the larger hubs I'd say 5 inch axles for those. Its weird though, because it seems everywhere has a different photo of how to measure axles! When I tried to just look up the correct axle length through my chair model, it said to measure from the bottom of the nut to the start of the balls. But I'd rather err on the side of caution with too long axles since I wanted longer ones anyway.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I found the same thing ~Lin when swapping axles between TiLite Shadow wheels and Spinergy LX's. It was no problem to adjust them shorter by just changing the placement of the axle nut.

Personally, I think this measurement is the most accurate, because it is the “effective length” of the axle as measured from the top of the axle nut to the beginning of the ball as shown in this drawing:

Note: I found that the axles we ordered from Sportaid had more screw threads than the ones we have from TiLite, making it easier to adjust them shorter. Just make sure that the ones you are getting have enough treads to shorten the placement of the axle nut the amount you need.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Its weird though, because it seems everywhere has a different photo of how to measure axles!
    Last edited by elarson; 06-20-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added note
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thats the way quickie said to measure them. You can also change up the length by putting a spacer/washer below the nut, its from a post by SCI_OTR. Thats what I was talking about earlier where it makes the button stick out further. The spacer can't fall off since its between the button and the hub, and can make the button easier to depress. I'd actually like to get longer axles and use a 1/2 inch spacer at some point so I can press the button with the palm of my hand or flat of my fingers. But then I'm also trying to get a lift from vocational rehab, and if I don't have to dissemble my chair it won't be an issue...

I'm really irritated right now though because I can't remove the left wheel, and its a huge difficulty if I'm going anywhere alone to load my chair with that wheel on. I keep hurting myself. I don't go out completely alone much, but its been enough times now since its over a month since the button was damaged! I did NOT expect it to take so long to get a replacement. Has me wanting to get a spare chair all the more if this is what happens when something breaks.

Really sorry that this has dragged on so long for you ~Lin. It has cut my stress level so much having a backup chair and backup wheels, cushion, etc., that I can't recommend it highly enough. I'm glad that we can also swap-out some parts on our backup, like wheels and axles. Maybe you can pickup a backup chair similar to your own on E-bay...
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).