Thread: what does this mean ?for trials ?

what does this mean ?for trials ?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/0...94E0V220130515
    will this now be the answer to stem cell clinical trials?

A perfect genetic match for embryonic stem cells is great, but in terms of clinical trials, all the work of figuring out how to get the cells to thrive and thrive in precisely the right place with all the right connections is still ahead of us.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Quote Originally Posted by lollypop View Post
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/0...94E0V220130515
    will this now be the answer to stem cell clinical trials?
    It was only a matter of time that cloning of human embryonic stem cells be available because it had already been done in many species of animals. Of course, iPS (induced pluripotent stem cells) have already been created from fibroblasts but presumably these cloned embryonic stem cells will be safer because they have not had oncogenes and other genes inserted into them.

Unfortunately, it seems to have re-ignited the whole embryonic stem cell controversy again. I heard on NPR (National Public Radio) yesterday that several groups are urging the U.S. Congress to pass legislation banning cloning of embryonic stem cells, claiming that over 50 countries in the world already have legislation banning such activity.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 05-16-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    It was only a matter of time that cloning of human embryonic stem cells be available because it had already been done in many species of animals. Of course, iPS (induced pluripotent stem cells) have already been created from fibroblasts but presumably these cloned embryonic stem cells will be safer because they have not had oncogenes and other genes inserted into them.

Unfortunately, it seems to have re-ignited the whole embryonic stem cell controversy again. I heard on NPR (National Public Radio) yesterday that several groups are urging the U.S. Congress to pass legislation banning cloning of embryonic stem cells, claiming that over 50 countries in the world already have legislation banning such activity.

Wise.
    Wise,

But what does those informations mean for the work in SCI or especially in your work in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

Wise.
    Yea, I heard that story as well. My initial thought was that this would end the debate over whether or not the production of embryonic stem cells is ethical because we are now dealing with manufactured cells, but oh well... It just goes to show the inadequacy of 3000 year old books when it comes to medical ethics these days.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

mr young i agree
    but its now out of the box and it wont go away if found to be an important answer to regenertive medicine ie cns als dementia etc how can it be
    stopped if it has the potential to save lives plus billions of dollars i know your views on embyronic cells and it just seem a no brainer