Thread: Night-splint for drop foot

Night-splint for drop foot

Has anyone used this before? My left foot is dropped and it drives me crazy at how it lays at night. Does the splint fix drop foot?

http://www.supports4less.com/activea...ightsplint.htm

Proper range of motion exercises and stretching daily, standing daily, and proper foot positioning in the wheelchair should prevent most foot drop. There are many devices to wear at night on your foot to prevent foot drop, but they can also cause skin problems...both on that foot and the other leg if you have a lot of spasticity.

A foam device that protects your heel and also positions the foot is better than anything with elastic or hard pieces on it. Avoid anything that presses on the ball of your foot. Here are a few other devices to look at:

Foot drop splint

Night Splint

Night Splint

Night Splint

Heel elevator

Heel protector

I also often recommend a foot cradle for people with problems with this, as this will keep the weight of the blankets off your foot and help to prevent foot drop.

Once foot drop has developed a splint like this would not help correct it. A more aggressive stretching and standing program, under the direction of a good PT, would help though.

(KLD)

I have been using the same ankle splint that they gave me in rehab. my feet started to drop simply because I was not faithful about using my splints every night. Since I've begun using the splints every night, my ankles and feet have corrected themselves. Start using whatever makes you feel comfortable at night. If you use it regularly, it should correct your problem as it did mine. The SCI nurse has given excellent advice, in my opinion. Find the product that corrects your problem without causing any skin breakdown.

Holy crap Theo, I have a slight foot drop,I also remember that when I developed a pressure sore on the ball of my heal the rehab facility gave me a foot brace that kept my foot in the neutral position and I dont remember having foot drop. I going to look into this, that would be great if I can wear this brace, or a brace that is specific to foot drop, and I'm going to deff. strech alot more.AWESOME!!!

Tiffany,I know your going through some heavy stuff right now but I want you to know that you just made my day.

Cbowen - so you atribute your brace to helping your footdrop?

JimmyMack

I used to use the one Nurse labeled as "Heel protector". It is a good one but I had problems when I was having *bad* leg spasms. Even the antirotation bar couldn't keep my feet in place and I wound up with feet twisted to the side. I have sensation in one leg and it was bad painful, had to wake my wife up to reposition a few times.

Also, get your foot in correctly. Missed one night and started a pressure sore on the heel.

This will probably work great for most folks, just my luck.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

I just started useing the third one down on sci nurses list. They called it a kfo for night time use. It is supposed to elongate my calf muscle to help with the clonus when I stand and walk. It seems to help as long as I am consistant with it. If I don't use it, the next day my calf is rediculously tight and it feels like square one again.

jOE

thx everyone for your replies

jimmymack, thx for your kind words

I had drop-foot, but it had gone past the point of no return. My tendons were rigid.

I ended up having my tendons snipped, I know I won't be running any marathons anytime soon, so it didn't bother me.

It only took a few minutes, a day in hospital, and I was out. It was one of the best things I've had done!

No more feet bouncing around on my footplate everytime I go over the smallest bump, and I can get my knee's under the table again.

Simon.

http://www.cafepress.com/apparelyzed