Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tires/tubes leaking green liquid?

tires/tubes leaking green liquid?

We went to pump my Tilite's tires but this fluid leaked out of it. has anyone had that happen before?? I haven't. I want to get some solid inserts and am wondering if it's just the tubes that are shot or the tires too.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I don't know Les, but ever since switching to Kix or Spox tires I have had one less Sci thing to worry about. Ride is pretty close to high pressure tires too. I would recommend them to every one.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Maybe it is the green Slime Tube Sealant?

That green slime is only good for small punctures. I think it's 1/8" max. Bigger punctures will leak. Obviously the puncture could be from something that went through the tire and there is nothing you can do to prevent that. But the leak could be due to the rim and you can prevent that. The thin rubber rim strips have little resistance and the tubes grow nipples where the tube meets the holes in the rim. Eventually, the tube leaks at these spots. These leaks should stop completely if you use cloth rim tape. Make sure the tape is cloth and it covers all edges not just the holes.

Of course, the solid tires eliminate this problem. But they don't provide cushion, are heavy, noisy, and require a special tool.

Your green stuff is likely some substance that someone shot into the tire to prevent leaks or to stop a small leak. That stuff is overrated. I'ts a great fix to get you home, but I'd immediately replace the tube.

Before thinking about solids, I'd really recommend going with Schwalbe's Marathon Plus. They are just about indestructible and roll and feel a lot better than solids. They were my all-weather commuting tire when I was AB, I put thousands of miles on them with one trike wheel picking up all kind of broken glass and gutter trash. Never had a problem.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

How slow/quick does it leak? Does it require new air daily, weekly, longer? The tube will leak eventually. The inserts will really give you a "hard" ride. Personally, I hated inserts because of how hard ride was.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    We went to pump my Tilite's tires but this fluid leaked out of it. has anyone had that happen before?? I haven't. I want to get some solid inserts and am wondering if it's just the tubes that are shot or the tires too.
    Most definitely alien blood

Ah, remember the dme telling me they did something to make the tires less likely to puncture. It must be the slime. According to this thread it makes them heavier than solid tires. Now I know why it felt hard to push. I don't need that I'm a weak quad. what I really need are the power assist wheels. I use the chair only very rarely my powerchair makes me more independent.

paramoto are those the kik mako youre referring to? IsMaisin if the chair were to sit a lot would that affect the marathon tires i.e. would I have to check the tire pressure often? I need the easiest to get around in but not high maintenance.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Your leak sounds like Slime alright. I use it myself on bikes and such. It’s okay…even works sometimes to stop leaks. You will definitely see it leak out through the valve when you fill it. Sometimes it will even clog the valve. It does add quite a bit of weight to tire/tubes. It probably makes them as heavy as tires with inserts or solid tires. Slime tubes will still need air now and again. I have used tubes, inserts, and solids over the years. I like solids best myself.

Inserts are just as heavy and hard to mount as solid tires. Most inserts will eventually break down. I had urethane inserts that broke down so bad after a couple of uses that they turned to powder inside the tire. Man those tires rolled wonky!

Kik tires (seen spelled Mako or Makow) and Shox tires are very similar solid tire types. I have used Shox and like them. They are a little heavier than light weight pneumatic tires and tubes like Primo, and they don’t ride as hard as tires pumped up past 100lbs. However, they require zero maintenance, roll well enough for most people, and you can run them down past the tread and still keep rolling. No flat worries and they come in colors. I have blue.

Marathon tires and pressure has nothing to do with the tire pressure.. The tube inside the tire is holding all the air pressure. The quality of those tubes will dictate how often pressure is lost. I have Marathon tires and whatever tubes they but in them. Personally I think they are trash, the tubes. I must be putting air in them every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    Ah, remember the dme telling me they did something to make the tires less likely to puncture. It must be the slime. According to this thread it makes them heavier than solid tires. Now I know why it felt hard to push. I don't need that I'm a weak quad. what I really need are the power assist wheels. I use the chair only very rarely my powerchair makes me more independent.

paramoto are those the kik mako youre referring to? IsMaisin if the chair were to sit a lot would that affect the marathon tires i.e. would I have to check the tire pressure often? I need the easiest to get around in but not high maintenance.