Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tires/tubes leaking green liquid?

Do you think camber causes "lean in" type forces on wheelchair tires?

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    Sorry I didn't notice these concerns earlier.

The pressure issue is complex. Going to Sheldon Brown's advice:

My advice is that if, during non-use periods, your tires go totally flat, you would be doing the right thing to take the pressure off the rims by taking the wheels off the chair, hanging the chair on a hook, or storing the chair on its side.

Certainly, checking the pressure before using after many months of no use is a very important thing. But you shouldn't have to do anything during storage.

I had a pair of tires hold air (with some pressure loss) over an entire year of no use while I was deployed with the Army. My experience is that if the tube is damaged during instillation or faulty, you will notice in less than a week that there is something wrong.

Finally, remember that in a chair, having (very close to) the SAME pressure in both tires is important. If one tire is different, the chair will pull to one side.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I also have never seen a tire that NEVER needed air from time to time unless they were solids. That I call BS on.
    Definitely B.S. That guys(rlmtrhmiles) advice often is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Do you think camber causes "lean in" type forces on wheelchair tires?
    Good point. This is my opinion, not backed by an expert I can reference, but if you have a certain camber that you stay at for the life of the tire, you will get your wear on that small point of contact only.

I really don't think that "lean in" forces are applicable to most wheelchair users, though they may well affect athletes in sport chairs or thrill-seakers who try to run long downhills at 20+mph. We "normal" users put so little side pressure on our tires that the effect over a tire's lifetime is minimal.

Interestingly, the lower your pressure (which works best with wider tires) the larger your contact spot. The larger your contact spot, the more miles you can get from a tire before showing wear. This is mitigated by thicker tires like the Schwalbe Marathons. The only users I have ever heard of wearing out Marathons (not just wearing the tread out) were bikers on multi-contenent tours. One rider told his story on Crazy guy on a Bike and mentioned that he had done 20K miles on a trike with marathons and had not yet worn them out. If I remember correctly, he biked Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, then Rotterdam to Beijing all on one set of tires - without a flat.

Now, one huge benefit of camber is that, when your tires show wear, you can dismount the tire and reverse it on the rim to have a brand new contact patch. You can have double the lifespan of your tire by doing this and people with 0˚ camber do not have that option.

With my Icon and its easily adjusted camber, I can roll on 0˚, 2˚, 4˚, and 6˚ of camber and reverse the tire for all settings except 0˚. That gives me a hypothetical seven times the normal lifespan of the tire.

Of course, I, and I assume most people, tend to stick with the camber we like best, but we can still double the lifespan by reversing the tire.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    In my opinion...I NEVER had issues with my tubes and tires and the PSI on them. I have to put air in them from time to time...but that is to be expected. I have always had max pressure and the only time I had an issue is when my rim tape was crap. I also have never seen a tire that NEVER needed air from time to time unless they were solids. That I call BS on. I love my Schwalbes and have not had the issues I used to have prior to using them.
    I have had problems occasionally, but every single time it was my fault for installing the tire incorrectly and the problem surfaced immediately. When first learning to change tires, I stressed the stems or pinched the tube during instillation. Like I said - my fault, problem showed up right away.

Marathons were my commuting tire on my trike. All weather, one tire constantly in the gutter with all the trash, broken glass, construction debris, ice, rain, gravel - and I still haven't worn out my first set with over 10K miles on them.

They aren't the fastest on a trike (I love Schwalbe Kojak's for speed) and they are heavy, but I'd put a Marathon Plus against a non-pneumatic solid any day for reliability, and the smoother ride and reduction of stress on the chair from jolts is well worth the hypothetical tradeoff of a solid tire's "impossible" to get a flat and the Marathon Plus's "almost impossible".
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.