Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Ironman's Journey

I'm serious about this. I'm really disappointed in our CC group. We claim to support one another here. we congratulate each other on feats we do. No matter how small. Yet here's a quad trying to do something epic for someone with his physical ability. And were showing very little support.

Here's a guy that's a monster to physical activity when it comes to quads. And he takes the time to show us how its done. He has a little more motor function then I do but the one thing he has proven to me is. I am not doing enough to reach my potential. And it has inspired me to work harder.

Were always talking here about how the AB community don't respect us. Talk down to us like we can't do things. This guy does well in that ironman race. It could bring him attention as a quad and not a para. Which helps our community. If this guy can do what he does. The rest of the AB community can at least expect other quads around his level to be able to work any kind of office job at the minimum.

I am curious why his thread hasn't shown more support? If any thread here inspires more hope on what we can achieve I would like someone to point it out. And i'm not talking about a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Very cool. I have thought about hand cycling but haven't for two reasons. I don't think I could get myself out of it and back into my chair and second, I couldn't stop anywhere to empty my leg bag. What do you people do during a marathon about that situation?
    I would not let the transfer keep you from hand cycle or anything else for that matter. If you can't do it yourself there is always AB's that are willing to help.

As far as what I do to go to the bathroom. So I normally do intermitten cathing but when I ride I use a foley catheter. I don't hook it up to anything. I just run the catheter down my thigh and let it dangle down in-between my leg and the frame of the hand cycle. I also just let it drip onto the road. That way I am not having to worry about emptying anything or stopping to cath. Saves a ton of time and offers peace of mind by not having to think about my bladder for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesstone View Post
    I would not let the transfer keep you from hand cycle or anything else for that matter. If you can't do it yourself there is always AB's that are willing to help.

As far as what I do to go to the bathroom. So I normally do intermitten cathing but when I ride I use a foley catheter. I don't hook it up to anything. I just run the catheter down my thigh and let it dangle down in-between my leg and the frame of the hand cycle. I also just let it drip onto the road. That way I am not having to worry about emptying anything or stopping to cath. Saves a ton of time and offers peace of mind by not having to think about my bladder for a while.

Leaving the foley open makes sense. I always was curious about that. I still have the problem of transferring out because I have no one that can help me here. I'm a c7 on my right and a c6 on the left. I see the stuff your able to do and i'm thinking if I can get my shoulder muscles a lot stronger that might do the trick. My right arm is really strong. I have neglected my left side because the transfers that I've been doing from bed to chair or other same levels are easy to do. I need a challenge any way. Thanks for your web site, very inspirational.

Joe, as a C6/C7 who does triathlons, I'll chime in. I use DeSoto Speedtubes to swim with but I can tell your suit would be more streamlined in the water. I've got two questions about that... do you have spasms? My hip and lower back spasms could be strong enough that the zipper seam would rip. Even after lots of stretching I'll get spasms in the water that are extremely strong. I've just about ripped my DeSotos numerous times. Second question... can you sit in a chair with that suit on?

As far as the artificial sweating. I live in the lowcountry of SC where the humidity is ridiculous. Florida is not any better. My water bottles are probably 99% used for artificial sweating. I built a system with two bottles connected together at the bottom with tubes up at the top. The idea was to sip to drink and blow to push water through the other tube onto me. It does work but I've found it takes more lung power than I want to give to squirt water back onto me. So I nixed it and am working on one that uses the CO2 cartridges instead. Push button, pressurized. Using water bottles is fine for hosing down except it means you have to take a hand off your cranks. Which I prefer not to do if I don't have to. What I do now is have a tube coming out of the top of the water bottle to my chest. Move my head down to the tube, take a big swig and then blow it into the air. Essentially biking right into it. I can actually get good coverage of my arms and upper body this way by trying to disperse it as much as I can, like a whale's blowhole. I know you're not supposed to spit into the wind... but this has proven the easiest method. I don't do this on the run though, throwing water everywhere lands on the pushrings and that's no bueno. I just squirt with water bottle. You HAVE to stay on top of watering yourself down though, it will hit like a ton of bricks if you don't. For iron length I'd suggest having planned locations where people are putting zip loc bags of ice of you.

I would be interested in seeing your training schedule layout though, from start to your projected Ironman date and your intermediate goals. Good luck man!

Leaving the foley open makes sense. I always was curious about that. I still have the problem of transferring out because I have no one that can help me here. I'm a c7 on my right and a c6 on the left. I see the stuff your able to do and i'm thinking if I can get my shoulder muscles a lot stronger that might do the trick. My right arm is really strong. I have neglected my left side because the transfers that I've been doing from bed to chair or other same levels are easy to do. I need a challenge any way. Thanks for your web site, very inspirational.
    I do the same as joe but with external cath.

as for transfer heres my rig. easy and cheap.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I think it is safe to say that a lot of us have had some sort of traumatic accident that landed us in the disabled community. This is the story of my speed flying crash that rendered me an incomplete C7 quadriplegic. Episode 2 of "Wings to Wheels". Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdPJVJ6iUY

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I do the same as joe but with external cath.

as for transfer heres my rig. easy and cheap.
    I really should try to get into this sport. It seam like you guy's are having a lot of fun.

Hey Joe! I admire your drive brotha! I compete in paratriathlons as well. Completed a half-ironman last year, and signed up for Florida full-ironman in Panama City on November 1, 2014. When is your competition? I'm in South Florida, where are you located?
    "Be stronger than all your excuses...."

Very cool. I have thought about hand cycling but haven't for two reasons. I don't think I could get myself out of it and back into my chair and second, I couldn't stop anywhere to empty my leg bag. What do you people do during a marathon about that situation?
    Hey! At if you have the function to ride, you should definitely do the marathons! At the beginning of, during any transitions, and at the end of a marathon, there are people there that can help you get in and out. During a marathon, no one is paying attention to anyone else so, to be honest you can just pull over to the side and empty it out. I don't have a leg bag, but I have pulled over to cath during a marathon. Do you have a hand-cycle, have you tried one out?
    "Be stronger than all your excuses...."

Quote Originally Posted by Howiroll View Post
    Hey! At if you have the function to ride, you should definitely do the marathons! At the beginning of, during any transitions, and at the end of a marathon, there are people there that can help you get in and out. During a marathon, no one is paying attention to anyone else so, to be honest you can just pull over to the side and empty it out. I don't have a leg bag, but I have pulled over to cath during a marathon. Do you have a hand-cycle, have you tried one out?

Not yet, haven't gave up on the idea yet. I have been real busy with work. Once work settles down I will look more into it. Thanks for the reply!