Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rental Car Question

Rental Car Question

I'm taking an 8 day road trip in Cali next week and would like to rent a car with good quality hand controls. I've rented from Avis before and their controls were very good, but their rentals are expensive. I also rented from enterprise and their hand controls were very dangerous. If you've rented a car recently with hand controls then I would love to hear about your experience with the hand controls and the company that you used!

I have had good experience with Hertz and Dollar. Just make sure that you reserve it way in advance.

Thanks!

I've rented a car from enterprise and their hand control was very dangerous. I ended up returning the car and got one without hand control and slapped my portable on.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

Yep, Dollar and portables is the way to go. I agree about enterprise, but that was a long time ago, maybe 20 years, I nearly had a bad accident with their hand controls, I woulda thought they would have change them by now? The were the type that was not even attached to the steering column. I dropped them on the floor and could not find them and was approaching a toll booth with stopped cars going around 60 mph, luckly at the last second I grabbed them and locked up the brakes, that was one of the most scary driving experiences I've ever had. I felt real lucky to be alive after that one.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I recently rented a car from Enterprise, and they controls were MPD's (I think), anyway, the controls were fixed, not a portable set. No problem at all, but they had disabled the tilt on the steering wheel, which was a little inconvenient, but not a real problem.

Though, just thinking now, the car may not really have been from Enterprise, I think the controls had been engraved as the property of a different company, I forget which one though. I assumed/figured that the car rental companies may lend cars to other each other when they do not have one of their own on hand.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I rented from enterprise in January, the controls were very dangerous. They were loosely mounted and the throttle could be engaged in two different directions. Sometimes I was trying to brake and ended up goosing the throttle. I nearly had a couple of wrecks. I'll definitely bring my portables this time no matter what company that I go with, although my portables don't attach to every make and model.

That sounds like a pretty scary ride curt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    I recently rented a car from Enterprise, and they controls were MPD's (I think), anyway, the controls were fixed, not a portable set. No problem at all, but they had disabled the tilt on the steering wheel, which was a little inconvenient, but not a real problem.
    HAHA! Don't you mean?

No problem at all, but they had us'ed the tilt on the steering wheel, which was a little inconvenient, but not a real problem.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I have a rental from enterprise right now and the hand controls are fine. Possibly you just got a bad set.