Thread: Medicaid for Parent Caregiver Now Living With Me

Medicaid for Parent Caregiver Now Living With Me

Hi,
    My mom had to quit her job and leave everything behind and come move in with me with and be my caregiver until I can be independent (tho I don't want her to leave now, I love my Momma!)

Anyways, she previously was low income even though she worked a lot she didn't make a lot. She was on Medicaid in North Carolina where she moved from, and there were also a lot of free and low cost clinics and also the Health Departments were readily available. She has now moved to Georgia with me (Braselton, GA to be exact) a little over an hour outside of Atlanta. Health Departments won't answer the phone, you leave a message and they don't call back. I was going to apply for Medicaid and Food Stamps for her so that she could help me out some since I am paying for both of us and she's had car trouble and legal trouble (from 2002 that she didn't even know about) that have come up and I've to pay for that also and I've also had to pay for groceries for two also, and also I give her extra money to buy the things she wants (to an extent) for helping me. So, Medicaid and Foodstamps, consider that since I am here we are a household size of 2 that we can't have income more than $238 per month. I am working part time plus I receive Long Term Disability Insurance Plus SSDI plus my Part Time Work. But she alone receive $0.

She has possible breast cancer and is need of a mammogram, ultrasound and whatever else that might need to be done. The hospital they refered they her to told her there would be a total $420 "deposit" and I guess they bill you for more? I'm not sure, I need to call, I need to call and check.

Anyways, is there any way to get her on Medicaid? I also need to find some way to prove residency status since she just moved here a month or so ago.

She's 52 years old and I need to keep her healthy.

My income from all sources is approximately $5000 per month. But, I have a lot of expenses of my own, medical, credit card debt, paying for both of us, etc.

The criteria sheet here: http://dch.georgia.gov/eligibility-criteria-chart

Thanks,
    Jason

With Obamacare coming on line you'll be able to shop the insurance exchanges stating October 2013 and get insurance in January 2014. Lower income people will have access to Medicare I think.

Don't listen to all the negative rhetoric. Obamacare will be great for low income people.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    So, Medicaid and Foodstamps, consider that since I am here we are a household size of 2 that we can't have income more than $238 per month. I am working part time plus I receive Long Term Disability Insurance Plus SSDI plus my Part Time Work. But she alone receive $0.

Anyways, is there any way to get her on Medicaid? I also need to find some way to prove residency status since she just moved here a month or so ago.

She's 52 years old and I need to keep her healthy.

My income from all sources is approximately $5000 per month. But, I have a lot of expenses of my own, medical, credit card debt, paying for both of us, etc.

The criteria sheet here: http://dch.georgia.gov/eligibility-criteria-chart

Thanks,
    Jason
    $5,000 a month = $60,000 a year. Not to be harsh, I see your situation with your mom, but it's time to create a budget and find out where that money is going. Maybe cut expenses somewhere? I have a household of 2 and live on less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ip View Post
    With Obamacare coming on line you'll be able to shop the insurance exchanges stating October 2013 and get insurance in January 2014. Lower income people will have access to Medicare I think.

Don't listen to all the negative rhetoric. Obamacare will be great for low income people.
    I hope it will! Health insurance is currently our highest expense. Got a few years before we both qualify for Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by ip View Post

Medicaid, not Medicare, and only if the state opts in. The actual services offered will vary between states. States can also offer insurance exchanges where you can shop for policies.

Call the United Way or Planned Parenthood and ask about free mammagrams. She needs to catch this at its earliest stage.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Contact the hospital mammography unit (just had a lovely one myself) they have these posters up all over the place about free and low cost mammograms. There are community health clinics on wheels that do basic checkups, HBP, diabetes checks etc free. http://health.state.ga.us/programs/bccp/index.asp (for your state for the boob squish) http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinic...=list&state=ga (free clinics) also has side links to free or low cost meds

She can go online and apply for medicaid https://compass.ga.gov/selfservice/ essentially you do a prescreen online, then just apply.

I have a friend in OH, she is living with her BF he makes about $250/wk....she's obese (gets disability because of knee issues from it, don't get me started) she gets $1k per month, she pays NO housing expenses. She gets $16/mo in food stamps (if only she would buy fresh veggies and lay off the fats...she lived with me for a mo I can say this) and now she's getting medicaid. His income is NOT figured into her allowances because they are not married. IF, however she moves out on her own, she can be reevaluated and actually get MORE aid. The $240/mo limit is what she personally can make and still receive benefits.

Check into this a bit more....maybe have her do the calling since she's there to help you.

http://www.caring.com/articles/payme...mily-caregiver (if your insurance pays for in home care she can get paid by them....while making phone calls for medicaid)

Since she's that new can't she just claim visiting right now and find out how to use her medicaid while helping you out? You may get tired of Mommy being around all the time too.
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story