Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair measurements -Lots of opinions wanted :)

Wheelchair measurements -Lots of opinions wanted :)

These are the specs for a Colours Razorblade. I'm going to finalize everything tomorrow with my DME. This will be my first real chair since becoming injured almost 7 years ago. I'm no expert so I'd really like to know what everyone thinks of these measurements. Please don't waste anytime commenting about how much you hate Colours because that is irrelevant to this post.

Seat Width- 15
    Seat Depth- 17
    Footrest width- 10
    Frame Angle - 90
    Backrest height- 16
    Front seat height - 18.5
    Rear seat height- 16.5
    Center of gravity- 2.5
    Camber- 2
    Front of seat sling to front of footrest-15
    Inside wheel clearance- 1
    25 inch wheels
    3 inch casters
    Stimulite Sport cushion

My only comment is--please be careful with those 3" casters. I had 3 inchers on my Colours Eclipse and it caused me problems on uneven surfaces. My casters got caught on an uneven concrete ramp while I was carrying something and I endoed. Broke my femur bad. After I switched to 4" wheels, things were better. The Razorblade looks like it's a short chair front to back like the Eclipse.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    the 3 inch casters would be my concern. those are little rock/crack catchers.
    i had a chair with 1 inch inside wheel clearance and it stuck out a lot farther than it thought when i ordered it. ended up getting a shorter camber tuber.

I must be totally oblivious to how my chair operates when I'm in it because I just switched from 4 inch casters to 3 and I don't notice any difference. And I just have some cheap $30 light up casters on I got from Sportaid

Quick comments - I have a 90 degree front end on my Tilite TR2 and I've never quite liked it. I tried an 85 degree and it felt much better. Everybody's body is different though. For me, I wanted my legs more out in front of me. Another thing I noticed was your back height. I think that you must be pretty tall if you can use a 16" back height and it doesn't interfere with your pushing. A general rule is to have the backrest height no higher than just under your shoulder blades. My last thought was about castor size. There isn't a correct one since everyone has different needs but the larger casters have made it easier for me to handle obstacles though the smaller ones do make it easier to climb curb and steps. Good luck. :-)

Thank you! I have an 85 degree back now and I hate it. I'm 5'7 so I'm kinda on the taller side. I have a ZRA now and I recently lowered the back as low as it can go and now I feel like I slouch more than ever. If when I get the chair and the backrest is too high I can always lower it.

You backrest height should be determined by your injury level and trunk control. I don't know either but I went around for a year with too low a back rest (which caused me a lot of pain) until I went to a seating clinic and got it corrected. As a T8 I have a 13 inch Jetstream and it set so it is about 15 inches tall. Don't know your injury level but you should take it into account.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You backrest height should be determined by your injury level and trunk control. I don't know either but I went around for a year with too low a back rest (which caused me a lot of pain) until I went to a seating clinic and got it corrected. As a T8 I have a 13 inch Jetstream and it set so it is about 15 inches tall. Don't know your injury level but you should take it into account.
    Very good point.

I'm a T1. I use to have too high of a backrest and it was uncomfortable and hard to push, but now I know its way too low. It needs to be somewhere in the middle.

+1 on the 3" casters...but I have no experience beyond what's on my pile (I think they used to be 5").

17 deep chair? Mine's 18" (6'3"). It doesn't have to go all the way to the back of the knee, and can be beneficial to go on the short side within reason for a smaller overall footprint. Of course if you have a sling back or a 'custom' contraption can alter the actual depth when the chair is assembled for an in-use configuration.

Did you base the measurements off a known chair and adjust them to where you want them?

I hate Colours