Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney Worl

the real American way would be to allow "line sitters" like they do in Washington for crowded hearing rooms.

From the Washington Post:

The line-standers are out all night on Capitol Hill, looking homeless. "But we're not homeless," one of them says; just trying to keep warm in ski caps and puffy coats.

Waiting 10, 20, 30 hours outside the House or the Senate, holding a place in line so some well-pressed lobbyist can sit upfront at a congressional hearing and bat eyes at all the right people -- this is democracy, or something like it. More importantly, it's a job.

Professional line standers enter the Hart Senate Office Building, where they will claim their labors' reward: a warm seat to turn over to a lobbyist or other power broker.

We're talking public hearings, but John Q. would have trouble getting into many of them if he ever showed up. He'd be too far back in line, assuming he didn't have $35 an hour to pay a line-standing company, or the gumption to play line-stander himself.

When the hearing rooms are small and the demand high, the line-stander comes in. He's a warm body, a hologram. He is a young fellow, with sleepy ambitions, or an older fellow, treading water, or some guy who talks obscenely and makes no sense at all. He waits on the sidewalk and when the congressional office buildings open in the morning, with staffers clickety-clacking past, he takes his place outside a hearing room and drops his puffy coat on those hallowed floors.

Airlines: More travelers abusing wheelchair system to get around airport quickly

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Getting through airport security and onto to the plane can be time-consuming and frustrating. But to add to that, it appears more and more passengers are finding a way around the wait. We're blowing the whistle on travelers faking disabilities to wheel through airports with ease.

Walk through an airport and you may find yourself not only dodging crowds but wheelchairs.

"We've handled maybe a hundred wheelchairs a year. Now there are some certain times we can handle a hundred wheelchairs in a day," airport manager Peter Scherrer said.

At Bush and Hobby, the airlines handle all wheelchair requests. American Airlines alone tells us they're now getting more than 400 wheelchair requests a week!

Why so many?

"People who don't really need special assistance or have a disability sometimes do say they're a person with a disability to go through that special line or to the head of the line to get through security quicker," said Kleo King with the United Spinal Association.

The association estimates that at least 15 percent of the wheelchair requests are bogus. And that makes Barb Likos mad.

"When people abuse the system, it makes it harder for my child to access the accommodations that he needs, and it's frustrating and it's rude," Likos said.

More
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Airlines: More travelers abusing wheelchair system to get around airport quickly

"People who don't really need special assistance or have a disability sometimes do say they're a person with a disability to go through that special line or to the head of the line to get through security quicker," said Kleo King with the United Spinal Association.

The association estimates that at least 15 percent of the wheelchair requests are bogus. And that makes Barb Likos mad.

"When people abuse the system, it makes it harder for my child to access the accommodations that he needs, and it's frustrating and it's rude," Likos said. More
    15 percent my ass! On a flight I took last year only two of us out of about 12 were unable to walk. Doesn't mean they didn't have a "disability," but as I posted earlier, most of them walked off the plane!

I'm flying to Colorado in a few months and I'm going to complain loudly if I spot somebody who does not really need help, hopefully it'll embarrass them.

They'll probably write me off as a crotchety old fart . True enuf!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    the real American way would be to allow "line sitters" like they do in Washington for crowded hearing rooms.

From the Washington Post:
    Hey, a job I could actually do! I even have my own seat. Although the standers only get half or less of what the company gets. I don't imagine $15-$20 an hour goes that far in D.C.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

As long as the rich person hands me a $100 tip I don't mind helping them cut lines....just kidding.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust