Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney Worl

I recently visited the Grand Canyon with my family. The first day out, I rode the rim shuttle buses with everyone else. Sometimes, we had to wait for several buses until one came along with enough room. Seating on the shuttles was tight and sometimes I had to stand. It was challenging. We finally got a disabled pass so we could drive the road in our own van. It was hard for me to convince myself to take advantage of disability rights and I was a little embarrassed by it all. Not sure if I would do it again.
    Last edited by truly; 05-14-2013 at 10:46 PM.

I call BS on this story. I was just at Disney World with the family last month and there was no advantage given to wheelchair users at all. When I went to go on space mountain, I could not go in the normal line because of stairs. They sent me to the fast pass lane, gave me a piece of paper with a time to come back that reflected the wait time of the normal line. This wheelchair user waited in line with everyone else.

It's the NY Post people, the source that started the death panel bs.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by 6GunCobra View Post
    I call BS on this story. I was just at Disney World with the family last month and there was no advantage given to wheelchair users at all. When I went to go on space mountain, I could not go in the normal line because of stairs. They sent me to the fast pass lane, gave me a piece of paper with a time to come back that reflected the wait time of the normal line. This wheelchair user waited in line with everyone else.
    Not my experience in 2006, at all. The folks a WDW, Epcot and Universal went out of their way to hook us up. They were starting to use electronic ticket "number takers" on some of the bigger rides, but we were allowed to bypass several waits on the lead of the ride operators, if not park policy.

Frankly, I think the take a number and come back at a specific time for immediate access approach is a good alternative to long queues.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Like I said, Disney used to allow chair users a signifigant break from waiting in the main queue. Within in recent years, the process has changed and we have to wait it the regular line.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Like I said, Disney used to allow chair users a signifigant break from waiting in the main queue. Within in recent years, the process has changed and we have to wait it the regular line.
    Would you care to speculate on the reasoning behind the change in policy?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Let me ramble slightly off the topic for a minute.

I hate grocery shopping. The busy environment is stressful in itself (I am severe PTSD with paranoia and hyper-alertness) and just trying to follow the items on the list I made is hard to concentrate on. I am worn out by the time I get the cart to the counter.

Sometimes I am more worn out than others. If it a short trip, and I'm still functioning, I stay in line just like everyone else. I don't mind waiting my turn, and that day I don't need the special treatment.

Other times I am barely hanging on - barely, if at all, able to speak, vision, if working, severely tunneled, cognition way down. Those time I do need to exercise the privilege of cutting the line and having someone unload the cart for me. I do need the help and I'm grateful to have it. The people there can easily recognize my need too, and no one seems offended.

I personally can't imagine that I'll ever be functional enough to go to a theme park. But if I did, I would want to be with my group. If I was still functional to wait in line, great, no problem. But if I was starting to lose it, being able to shortcut a line with my wife might mean that I get a much fuller and enjoyable experience of the trip.

It bears repeating - not all injuries are visible. And everyone's abilities to handle situations changes at times. I would guess that most employees have a good guess on who really needs the help and who is simply entitled to the help. They of course help both groups, but my guess is that they can tell the difference.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/ this entire tour company is based around tours for the disabled. It seems that wait times would be drastically reduced since they are selling a dream tour service to disabled people, it would naturally include VIP passes.

I personally feel that the article is misleading. If, however, the 1%'ers have infiltrated an organization designed to provide special tours for special needs guests it could either be deplorable or laudable depending on the situation. If they are paying premium prices and "donating a dream" to fund affordable vacations for special needs clients who might not be able to afford to go without assistance is that really so bad if they get a line cut? If they are taking the lower prices intended for disabled clients then that's deplorable.

I personally feel if a disabled guide is paid for their time then that's a good thing. Equipment is outrageous, extra therapy is through the roof cost wise...it costs a lot to be disabled.

Throw rocks if you will but models get paid for their bodies, singers,actors and actresses sell their assets...how is this really any different?
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Couple this story with the news of an outbreak of miracle airport cures and you draw a picture of a bankrupt morality that redefines the limits of any previous understanding of the attitude of privilege and entitlement.
    R.I.P "Noblesse oblige"

Well, they got what they wanted -- media buzz! Welcome to the age of the internet kids

1. Dream Tours Florida allegedly uses disabled tour guides to cut Disney ride wait times

A local tourism company is coming under fire for allegedly using people with disabilities so tourists don't have to wait as long in line. Dream Tours Florida advertises a guide who "will provide significantly reduced wait times through the parks" and special entrance to Fast Pass lines. The New York Post reports rich parents are hiring disabled tour guides and families fully capable of sweating ...
      WFTV 9 Orlando - May 14 01:56pm
    2. Disney World vows action after report of wealthy hiring disabled to skip lines

Disney World announced Wednesday it is looking into reports that some wealthy visitors are hiring disabled people to pretend to be family members so that they can skip lines.
      CNN - 40 minutes ago
    3. Disabled Used to Cut at Disney

Forget the FastPasses. Apparently the secret to skipping the long lines at Disney World is to hire a disabled person.
      Fox News - May 14 06:31am
    4. Parents hiring disabled tour guides to cut Disney lines, report says

We've all been in line at Walt Disney World, and we've seen it a million times: A family with a disabled member is ushered to the front of the line. But what if that disabled person is not actually a family member, but a "tour guide" hired specifically so parents can cut the line? A report in the New York Post says that's exactly what's happening. It alleges "black-market Disney guides" run up ...
      Local 6 Orlando - May 14 05:11pm
    5. Report: Wealthy hire disabled Disney guides

Disney World announced Wednesday it is looking into reports that some wealthy visitors are hiring disabled people to pretend to be family members so that they can skip lines. "It is unacceptable to abuse accommodations that were designed for guests with disabilities," spokesman Bryan Malenius said. "We are thoroughly reviewing the situation and will take appropriate steps to deter this type of ...
      KSAT San Antonio - May 15 07:21am
    6. Wealthy Parents Have Found A Despicable Way To Cut The Lines At Disney World

A black market for tour guides.
      Business Insider via Yahoo! Finance - May 14 10:14am
    7. Rich Manhattan moms hiring disabled guides to skip Disney World lines

The "black-market" Disney guides can apparently be rented for $130 an hour, or $1,040 for an eight-hour day.
      WTKR Norfolk - May 14 09:45am
    8. Wealthy parents have found a despicable way to cut lines at Disney World

A black market for tour guides.
      Business Insider via Yahoo! Canada Finance - May 14 10:14am
    9. Long wait for Mickey? A sneaky, pricey way to skip lines at Disney

"Crazy." "Freaky." "Awful." "Despicable."
      CNN - 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
    10. Rich use disabled to cut lines at Disney

SOME wealthy New York mums are hiring disabled people to pose as family members at Disney World so they and their kids can queue jump.
      News.com.au Travel - May 14 08:52am