Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: handcycle racers, where do you put your GU

no issue. I add hot water first then shake then add remainder and ice. I use a 100oz camel bak
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    I do carry a bottle in a cage behind the seat with a hose I can pull into my mouth. But it still slows me down and in bike racing if you get dropped out of the draft you're done.
    http://www.staples.com/Staples-Vinyl...product_573105

http://shop.camelbak.com/antidote-in..._c_321_cl_1011

Use the rigid tube cover and then clip around the tube to your shirt. You'll only have to move your head to the bite valve and not take your hands off the crank if you position it correctly. The tube cover has a bendable wire in it so it stays put.

Or you could make your own with a thin coat hanger wire and tape it to your tube, if you want to go MacGyver.
    Last edited by Tman9513; 05-15-2013 at 09:28 AM.

that's what I use. works great.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

yes I have mine clamped to my shirt/jersey and if I have it correct I don't have to stop cranking..no matter what a person needs to stay hydrated during racing riding or training

I was sponsored by GU when it first came out & I was doing ultra-endurance MTB races - I would water it down in a small bike bottle - it dissolves right up - and then I would just drink out of either my GU bottle or my H2O one.
    If you don't clean them out right away they will get funky like Delbert McClinton!

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but How many calories do you think you're burning in a race? I have never taken any calories in during a Marathon, and most races I don't even drink water. Occasionally I will drink a bottle of water during a race if it is unusually hot. I've never had a problem with bonking..etc. I'm a high level para, and I just don't burn calories. I would think you as a quad would burn even less.

Are you a complete SCI? If so, I think you would have a hard time getting your HR high enough to burn a lot since you have sympathetic nervous system issues that block some of the signals to tell you're Heart rate to increase. Sports nutrition is one area where I believe we differ from the able bodied population.
    I think you're right about quads burning calories. I am generally a thin guy but when I eat a little to much it goes right to my gut and thighs. And it doesn't matter how much I workout. The only way for me to trim back is stop eating.

If any body has any idea on trimming down please let me know. Thanks!

Rainman..how many times do you eat a day? Its all abt keeping your metabolism going through out the day. If you eat abt 6 small good healthy meals you will be surprised at weight loss but you need to exercise at the same time..i don't know your situation but I assume you do workout ride or something?
    Eat more of your good carbs in the morning and don't eat about hr and half before bed. Drink lots of water.

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    Rainman..how many times do you eat a day? Its all abt keeping your metabolism going through out the day. If you eat abt 6 small good healthy meals you will be surprised at weight loss but you need to exercise at the same time..i don't know your situation but I assume you do workout ride or something?
    Eat more of your good carbs in the morning and don't eat about hr and half before bed. Drink lots of water.

I eat two big meals. I eat lunch at 11am, then a banana around 3pm at work. Eat dinner at 6pm. then 7 to 8 I workout. weights and cardio. My one problem is at night I do eat two pop tarts before sleep. It's hard for me to sleep on an empty stomach. And I do have to work it around my jobs hours. Oh, no breakfast. Thanks for reply!

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post

That is absolutely true for AB's and even low level paras. However, most quads have a hard time controlling their weight because their RMR is extremely low. (Garmin 800 is an invalid way of measuring your calories BTW) If you go get a MET test from a human performance lab, or just a University with a good exercise science program you can find out exactly how many calories you burn at rest. I think you will be surprised at how much lower it really is than the electronic gizmo calculators. In the lab they will put a mask on you that will measure your Carbon Dioxide. My Wife has a degree in Exercise Physiology, I have been tested, I burn around 1000 calories per day at rest. While handcycling( zone 2 power) I burn around 150 calories per hour. I am a t-4. I would imagine a quad with no tri's would burn even less since they using even less muscle group during exercise.
    Last edited by jheath; 05-20-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Should say BMR

I disagree. maybe its inc v comp. b4 the season starts I like to drop 10-15 pds, I do this by eating 1800 clean cals a day. in season im about 3000 cals per day still very clean but higher carbs. I still will lose some if im not careful. garmin isn't perfect but its still a good gauge. gotto know your body. MOST sedentary quads cant control their weight. a quad gut doesn't mean someones over weight.

bottom line you gotto do what works for you. if I did what you do, i'd hit the wall in an hour. but it works for you thou.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com