Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: handcycle racers, where do you put your GU

handcycle racers, where do you put your GU

specifically quads while racing[marathons]. I GU every five miles. we have been opening them and taping a corner to my gut strap. then I just get it in my mouth chew it up and spit out the wrapper. but sometimes they just fall off and/or get all over. ideas?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I'm not a quad, but what the hell is a "GU"?

lol. gu energy gel. they are a sponsor, good stuff.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    specifically quads while racing[marathons]. I GU every five miles. we have been opening them and taping a corner to my gut strap. then I just get it in my mouth chew it up and spit out the wrapper. but sometimes they just fall off and/or get all over. ideas?
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but How many calories do you think you're burning in a race? I have never taken any calories in during a Marathon, and most races I don't even drink water. Occasionally I will drink a bottle of water during a race if it is unusually hot. I've never had a problem with bonking..etc. I'm a high level para, and I just don't burn calories. I would think you as a quad would burn even less.

Are you a complete SCI? If so, I think you would have a hard time getting your HR high enough to burn a lot since you have sympathetic nervous system issues that block some of the signals to tell you're Heart rate to increase. Sports nutrition is one area where I believe we differ from the able bodied population.

One thing I just thought of, if you are noticing an increase in performance when taking GU, maybe it's the caffine. It's a mild stimulant, and will help increase you're HR and give you a little kick.

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but How many calories do you think you're burning in a race? I have never taken any calories in during a Marathon, and most races I don't even drink water. Occasionally I will drink a bottle of water during a race if it is unusually hot. I've never had a problem with bonking..etc. I'm a high level para, and I just don't burn calories. I would think you as a quad would burn even less.

Are you a complete SCI? If so, I think you would have a hard time getting your HR high enough to burn a lot since you have sympathetic nervous system issues that block some of the signals to tell you're Heart rate to increase. Sports nutrition is one area where I believe we differ from the able bodied population.
    I burn about 1800 per marathon. its an energy thing. every 5 miles is about every 30 minutes for me. I would never race or train without adding carbs via gel and powder in my camel bak. if I were faster I would need less but im a 3.50 marathon so absolutely need to add fuel. if I were faster i'd still stay on the same regime.
    I'm incomplete sci. imo your hurting your times and training not adding carbs and drinking.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    One thing I just thought of, if you are noticing an increase in performance when taking GU, maybe it's the caffine. It's a mild stimulant, and will help increase you're HR and give you a little kick.
    it helps. just like the lite ad you get when peeing. little power boost.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I agree about the drinking. I know I need to drink more when I race, but it's just hard logistically for me. I do carry a bottle in a cage behind the seat with a hose I can pull into my mouth. But it still slows me down and in bike racing if you get dropped out of the draft you're done. Since I mostly race in flat Florida, there aren't many places where you can stop cranking and not get dropped. Plus I'm usually hanging with guys that are slightly faster than me, so I have to stay an inch off their draft bumper to keep up. So for me it's more of a convenience to not drink. I still don't think I need extra calories though. Most of the races I do are 90 minutes or less. I got enough fat for fuel

If I were to use GU, I would either stuff it into the strap that goes around my waste, or I would put it in the back pocket of my jersey. I can pull the opening of the back pockets to the side and carry things there, that's where I put my keys etc.

For training I carry a small bag on the back of my bike for food during long rides.

I have a bento box that is attached to the waist belt on my left side

I just put them in their and pull them out and put them back in empty as I ride along.