Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "certification" for hand controls?

Unhappy "certification" for hand controls?

I'm having trouble getting hand controls put on a different vehicle because the folks(I've talked to people in FL and GA) want me to show a certificate that I've been trained to drive with them! I've been driving with hand controls for 28 years on several vehicles and this has never come up before. I had my rehab at Warm Springs and one day, back then, a woman took me out into an open field in a car with hand controls. I showed I was competent and that was that. BUT to get them to find info to document that in order to certify me has been a rat's nest of bureaucracy! Anybody else have this problem? Sure, I could get new training but understand from these installers it'd be @$750! Help!

That is interesting. All I had to do is show that my current car has them installed and the sticker that showed that a certified dealer installed them. I only needed the proof of training the first time I got hand controls installed in the car. Maybe it is a state by state thing?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I know in California there is no such requirement or law. This is something the installers want. The first place I looked (Mobility Works) wouldn't even talk to me without a prescription for hand controls. The guy wouldn't answer any of my questions nor would he show me any of the hand controls they install. I was so pissed off at their attitude that I walked out and found another certified installer who didn't require any such prescription for hand controls.

I would recommend you find another installer. There is no reason to spend hundreds of dollars for this prescription.

I had a similar experience and just railed on the folks at the installer place, there is no certificate that indemnifies them or you in the event of an accident so any such requirement is total bullshit. If it is not required by your state the installer has no rights to request additional certification. Go get'em

Every state has their own regulations for this. CA does not require any certification nor re-licensure...many other states do.

(KLD)

If I remember correctly, California puts something, maybe a watermark, I forget, on the back of your DL verifying you use hand controls.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Every state has their own regulations for this. CA does not require any certification nor re-licensure...many other states do.

(KLD)
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

After dinking around with trying to find someone to install them, I finally just did it myself. It really wasn't that bad. Could you find a friend to put them in for you?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I live in GA and have had hand controls installed in FL several times. I've never had to present a certificate. If you are close to Jacksonville look up Mobility Works. I just had a set of controls installed by them and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    After dinking around with trying to find someone to install them, I finally just did it myself. It really wasn't that bad. Could you find a friend to put them in for you?
    Where did you buy the hand controls that you self installed?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Where did you buy the hand controls that you self installed?
    I got them used for some company in Arizona that has a shop and installs them. They were monarchs and he sold me the new bracket that you need for my truck. The hand controls are not to hard to figure out, but there sure was a lot of stuff in the way. Finally I just took all the truck parts out of the way and put in the hand controls, and then figured out how to put the truck back together. The truck is tall, so I could do it all from my chair.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old