Thread: Portland, OR accessible taxis?

Portland, OR accessible taxis?

I'm traveling to Portland in a few weeks and my hotel will pay for an accessible taxi, since their airport shuttle does not have a lift. Can anyone from Portland tell me whether getting an accessible taxi is actually a viable option there? Do regular taxi companies also have WC vans? Must I reserve in advance or are they generally hail-able?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynahmite View Post
    I'm traveling to Portland in a few weeks and my hotel will pay for an accessible taxi, since their airport shuttle does not have a lift. Can anyone from Portland tell me whether getting an accessible taxi is actually a viable option there? Do regular taxi companies also have WC vans? Must I reserve in advance or are they generally hail-able?
    I realize I'm not answering the questions you asked, but anyway . . . wouldn't that be the responsibility of your hotel to arrange? It is they who have an inaccessible shuttle and need to provide an accommodation. And wouldn't they be in a better position to make local arrangements?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Smile

I'm not from Portland although I do live in Oregon. But, Broadway Cab has an accessible taxi service. Their phone number is: 503-333-3333. I've seen them at PDX a few times while my mom and I were waiting for the hotel shuttle to pick us up, so that we can pick up my mom's car to go home. I've never used them personally. But, it would be a good idea to call them to reserve them in advance. I've seen other wheelchair-accessible taxis at the airport also. Not sure if it's owned by the same company. But, Broadway cab is the only one I know of that has wheelchair-accessible taxis. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 50surgeries2012; 05-11-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I realize I'm not answering the questions you asked, but anyway . . . wouldn't that be the responsibility of your hotel to arrange? It is they who have an inaccessible shuttle and need to provide an accommodation. And wouldn't they be in a better position to make local arrangements?
    You're right, definitely their responsibility. But I'm sure you, like me, are all too familiar with how clueless hotel staff can be about accessibility. After having a conversation where I was told my reserved room was "partially accessible" (meaning, apparently, lowered beds and lightswitches, but not an ADA bathroom!) and the manager had never heard of the ADA requirement for pool lifts...well, I am reluctant to rely on their familiarity with accessible taxis!

Quote Originally Posted by 50surgeries2012 View Post
    I'm not from Portland although I do live in Oregon. But, Broadway Cab has an accessible taxi service. Their phone number is: 503-333-3333. I've seen them at PDX a few times while my mom and I were waiting for the hotel shuttle to pick us up, so that we can pick up my mom's car to go home. I've never used them personally. But, it would be a good idea to call them to reserve them in advance. I've seen other wheelchair-accessible taxis at the airport also. Not sure if it's owned by the same company. But, Broadway cab is the only one I know of that has wheelchair-accessible taxis. Hope this helps.
    Yes, it does help. Thanks!

They need a special plate to pick people up from the airport, but I know
    that Green Cabs has wheelchair lifts. If you call on Monday and give them
    the date that you need service, they can get a temporary airport tag and
    pick you up... I think that's how it works.

Here's their number 503-252-4422

Quote Originally Posted by Buck503 View Post
    They need a special plate to pick people up from the airport, but I know
    that Green Cabs has wheelchair lifts. If you call on Monday and give them
    the date that you need service, they can get a temporary airport tag and
    pick you up... I think that's how it works.

Here's their number 503-252-4422
    Thanks!