Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handcycle question

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    The FR leansteers are a lot of fun once you get the hang of leaning, I would not mind getting another one at some point, I've been keeping my eyes open for a used LC1, I definately miss riding a leansteer as a rec bike. I'd even be interested in a good used CB-1 if the price was right.
    I've got a used LC-1 with the bionx electric assist in the classifieds right now. You can easily pull the battery and front wheel off if you don't want the assist but at least you have it if you ever need it. Make me an offer and we can talk...
    T4 Complete since 01/01/2012

Quote Originally Posted by spmn View Post
    Patrick: Thanks for the rec! I'm unsure of how a pivot-steer system works, if that means you turn the handles to steer; it seems the legs being connected to the front wheel makes this impossible; But I will research after this post, first google results for 'pivot steering handcycle' or a few other combos didn't yield helpful results.
    Most handcycles are pivot steering; lean steers are the exception. Here are some pivot steer handbikes:

http://bike-on.com/product/top-end-f...cycle-1922.htm
    http://bike-on.com/product/top-end-f...cycle-1153.htm
    http://bike-on.com/product/top-end-x...dcycle-423.htm
    http://bike-on.com/product/quickie-s...dcycle-540.htm
    http://www.freedomryder.com/FRH-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
    I've got a used LC-1 with the bionx electric assist in the classifieds right now. You can easily pull the battery and front wheel off if you don't want the assist but at least you have it if you ever need it. Make me an offer and we can talk...
    gmorris, I'd definately be interested if not you being 2500 miles away in Canada, when I saw Canada I thought maybe you could meet me in NH, NY or VT but then I realized your way out on the west coast so if I lived in seatle or something instead of the east coast usa we could maybe make a deal. My experience with shipping things from that far in Canada has not been good.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    gmorris, I'd definately be interested if not you being 2500 miles away in Canada, when I saw Canada I thought maybe you could meet me in NH, NY or VT but then I realized your way out on the west coast so if I lived in seatle or something instead of the east coast usa we could maybe make a deal. My experience with shipping things from that far in Canada has not been good.
    Interesting, I've shipped plenty of carbon fiber mountain bikes around the US without an issue. Not cheap but you just have to pack it well...and I have all the packing material and box from my RX.
    T4 Complete since 01/01/2012

Quote Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
    Interesting, I've shipped plenty of carbon fiber mountain bikes around the US without an issue. Not cheap but you just have to pack it well...and I have all the packing material and box from my RX.
    Those are light, something more heavy like the handcycle costs a small fortune to ship and takes forever in my experience, especially from one coast to the other, if it were Toronto or Montreal or something it would not be as much. I'd say somebody on the west coast would be better buying your handcycle. It looks like a good deal though, it's not that your price is all that high or anything.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I sent a bike from The border where I live Curt to Florida. I think it was around 300.00 including them packing up the bike.

I'm dying to get a recumbent trike myself at some point, like Ismaisin has. But it will probably be years before I could even afford, and find an affordable, used one. (not too big of a deal, couldn't use one until after I have knee surgery anyway, and there's no guarantee of course the surgery will be successful)

I remember I saw one when researching that had the option to be used as both foot pedal and swap out for hand pedal. I just thought something like that might be perfect for you, one machine and both options. I can see if I can remember what I was looking at when I came across it.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.