Thread: Hydromyelia

Hydromyelia

Hello,

Back in 2006 I had an MRI of my neck for widespread muscle twitching. It was revealed that I have a 8mm x 1mm hydromyelia at c6-c7. My neurologist acted as if this was no big deal and felt that the twitching would not be from that. Since that time I have been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (autoimmune arthritis of the spine). Recently, I have had intermittent sharp pains and some tingling sensations in both arms/hands, neck pain at the area of the hydromyelia as well as stiffness throughout the rest of my spine due to the spondylitis. The arm pains improve with rest or sleep. My rheumatologist did an MRI to see if I had any bulging discs this month (May 2013). Again my MRI revealed this hydromyelia but according to the report it is now 5mm x 1mm. No signs of any disc problem. So my question is, could the pains I am getting now be caused by the hydromyelia even though it is not expanding? Thanks to anyone who gives time toward my question!
    Last edited by chief1976; 05-10-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling

I have asked Dr. Young to address your question when he has time.

(KLD)

chief1976,

I don't know the cause of your widespread muscle twitching but I agree with your neurologist that the muscle twitching is not from the hydromyelia. Muscle twitching of fasciculations may result from many causes, including drug side-effects (caffeine, amphetamine, corticosteroids, estrogens), dietary deficiencies, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, and other causes of myopathy.

The small size and the lack of expansion of the hydromyelia suggest that it is not the cause of the pain that you describe. It is possible that whatever caused or is causing the hydromyelia is responsible for the pain but I suspect that the cyst has been there for some time. According to Dr. Batsdorf at UCLA, most small hydromyelias of 1.0-2.0 mm diameter do not show progressive expansion and should not require surgical intervention.

Incidentally, you will find some internet sites that define hydromyelia are cysts that are in continuity with the fourth ventricle and central canal and that syringomyelias are not. These definitions, in my opinion, are wrong. Syringomyelic cysts are often in continuity with the central canal. Often, one cannot tell. I think that both hydromyelia and syringomyelia refer to cysts in the spinal cord. As I explained in another post, http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=137132, the hydromyelia is a more recent term that was coined to describe slit-like enlargements of the central canal.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by chief1976 View Post
    Hello,

Back in 2006 I had an MRI of my neck for widespread muscle twitching. It was revealed that I have a 8mm x 1mm hydromyelia at c6-c7. My neurologist acted as if this was no big deal and felt that the twitching would not be from that. Since that time I have been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (autoimmune arthritis of the spine). Recently, I have had intermittent sharp pains and some tingling sensations in both arms/hands, neck pain at the area of the hydromyelia as well as stiffness throughout the rest of my spine due to the spondylitis. The arm pains improve with rest or sleep. My rheumatologist did an MRI to see if I had any bulging discs this month (May 2013). Again my MRI revealed this hydromyelia but according to the report it is now 5mm x 1mm. No signs of any disc problem. So my question is, could the pains I am getting now be caused by the hydromyelia even though it is not expanding? Thanks to anyone who gives time toward my question!
    Last edited by Wise Young; 05-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Dr. Young,

When the MRI was done in 2006 the cyst was called a syringohydromyelia. This last report it was called a hydromyelia which would make sense with what you are saying in regards to hydromyelia being a new term. Thank you very much for taking time to address my question.
    Last edited by chief1976; 05-13-2013 at 11:18 AM.