Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: AB's using handicapped stalls

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    how do you think I changed my baby from my wheelchair? my point was things should not be combined. there are family restrooms, baby changing stations and hc stalls. it is the venue cutting corners by combining them. btw, it didn't take 15 minutes for this quad to change her baby.

eta: when he was potty trained, I took him to a regular stall in the women's. I sat right outside it. one more comment. moms (including me) have been changing babies for yrs, long before venues recognized the need. you tell me where they did it. maybe hc parking should be combined with moms to be. not. I had my baby 6 yrs post. I had to figure things out. so no, an ab mom who ignored my pleas doesn't cut it. btw, there were 2 in there laughing and gossiping.
    I really don't know how you changed your baby from your wheelchair. I would assume on your lap, maybe? ABs don't happen to keep those handy. So you think those hc stalls should only be used by people in wheelchairs? Because there are so many people in chairs at any place & any given time that all bathrooms should have specialty stalls for all situations that require additional space? Not very realistic. I don't feel entitled to have a stall waiting for me whenever I roll into a public restroom.

And lucky you had a boy. I would never have allowed my toddler daughter to go into a stall by herself, set the paper on the toilet and then climb up there, all the while fiddling around on a disgusting public toilet seat.

Ps, you mentioned nothing about pleas or laughter in your original post. I do wonder about the verbal exchange you had with these women for them to react in such a callous manner
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

There is no easy answers for restrooms or parking. There will always be unthinking or uncaring AB's using space they should'nt be using.

I've had to use HC stalls in restrooms since I had to start using a cane years ago, and now using a walker and sometimes my wheel chair. One of the things I need the most is the bars to pull myself back up. I'm sure if they would install bars in more of the stalls the larger one could be vacant more often for wheel chair users. As for putting the folding changing station inside the HC stall, I think it is a bad idea. I prefer the restrooms that have them out in the open. It's nice when the stores put in the family/hc extra restroom. It seems to leave the hc stall open much more often in the larger restroom. If stores were'nt so cheap and would just make the stalls a bit bigger with the pull bars, a lot of the problems would go away.

Oh, there is certainly something can be done about it.... For starters, let's put this in perspective. You really gotta love these able bodied "employees" defecating in the handicapped stall on company time...talkin on Mr. Cell Phone, gotta LOVE that. Back when I was an AB...back when I was 12 for that matter, my parents taught me you do number 2 in the morning, or at night...NOT during the day! Of course, I didn't call it a "bowel program" back then (skip the medical crap) I called it "being an adult."

So there's like one stall a wheelchair can get into...and like 10 urinals... hmmm... so when you go INTO he stall, there's a log int the toilet, and a half eaten bag of chips on the floor!

No....this demands a little somethin in return. Maybe surgilube on the flush handle? or maybe an amphibian in the toilet bowl...except I'm not that mean to animals.

You know I posted this VERY TOPIC on Yahoo questions..."Why do people defecate on company time?" Know what the answer was? "of COURSE I do that during the day, I go out and eat a big lunch, and then what's a girl to do?"

Able bodied people are just in a different universe...I was one...I know that for a fact. But even when I could dance, I had a bowel program....losers

parking...

The typical excuse for parking is "I just wanna run in real quick." There needs to be more INCENTIVE given to police for ticketing people that abuse handicapped parking. 50% on the ticket ? that would take care of the problem . Money is everything

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    There is no easy answers for restrooms or parking. There will always be unthinking or uncaring AB's using space they should'nt be using.

I've had to use HC stalls in restrooms since I had to start using a cane years ago, and now using a walker and sometimes my wheel chair. One of the things I need the most is the bars to pull myself back up. I'm sure if they would install bars in more of the stalls the larger one could be vacant more often for wheel chair users. As for putting the folding changing station inside the HC stall, I think it is a bad idea. I prefer the restrooms that have them out in the open. It's nice when the stores put in the family/hc extra restroom. It seems to leave the hc stall open much more often in the larger restroom. If stores were'nt so cheap and would just make the stalls a bit bigger with the pull bars, a lot of the problems would go away.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Yes, your way is a little nicer, but if you really believe that the AB person sitting in the only big stall in the whole bathroom, in this day and age is really unaware of its purpose, you are deluding yourself. They took it because they don't care, or figured they wouldn't get caught.
    No I don't think they're unaware of the purpose of that stall, and yes I do know most AB's don't care, but when I knock on a stall door I really don't know if it's being occupied by a disabled, or an able bodied person. When I have to go to the bathroom I do not care who's in there, all I know is it's occupied and I'm going to let whomever is in there aware that I also have to use that stall, and hopefully that person has a little bit of compassion for my situation and would be kind enough to speed up the process of whatever they are doing in there.

toddler boys do sit on the seat (they don't just pee) and I don't appreciate the implication I neglected my son in regards to this. the only conversation I had with the women in hc stall with baby changing station was begging them to hurry. they didn't give a damn. changing stations don't require a stall. put a blanket down and change the baby anywhere if ab. if disabled, bit more difficult but I did it. there is absolutely no reason to incorporate it in a hc stall.

btw, when did ab ppl lose laps? that was a weird comment.
    Last edited by cass; 05-14-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Never gets old

Classic. I also love when Larry gets in trouble when he tries to spare the wheelchair guy's feelings by not saying he's going golfing but just planning on sitting around. And when he dates the woman who's paralyzed!

This issue isn't black & white, and while I get frustrated especially at the airport when I need to pee before the plane leaves, I try to keep my cool and remember that these stalls aren't only for us, and there's really no way it could be enforced if they were only for us.

When I used to use a legbag, I'd empty it outside in the grass or a parking lot if I had to, but cathing for years now, it's necessary to use a stall... even a stall I can barely get my chair in and can't lock at a bar/concert the other night, guy opening the stall door every 20 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    toddler boys do sit on the seat (they don't just pee) and I don't appreciate the implication I neglected my son in regards to this. the only conversation I had with the women in hc stall with baby changing station was begging them to hurry. they didn't give a damn. changing stations don't require a stall. put a blanket down and change the baby anywhere if ab. if disabled, bit more difficult but I did it. there is absolutely no reason to incorporate it in a hc stall.

btw, when did ab ppl lose laps? that was a weird comment.
    Funny, I definitely made an "assumption" but no implication of neglect. Honestly, I personally would never willingly allow my toddler to climb all over a public toilet seat. However, I don't really give a hoot about what other parents expose their kids to. I understand that parenting is up to the parent and I'll stay out of it.

As for the lap comment, what don't you get? When a person stands up, voila, their lap disappears. Unless there is a chair in the bathroom, mom/dad would have to sit on the toilet to have a lap.

I personally believe that in order to co-exist, like cars & bicycle, we must share the road so to speak (hope this reference doesn't confound you like the lap comment did).

I'm actually a bit confused about some of your complaints. If you were so creative in changing your baby, why do you allow yourself to get "nearly dysreflexic" while waiting to empty your leg bag? There are many ways to get creative with that task.

I am, however, only 22 years post, so I'll defer to your seniority and hope you always find that big stall waiting just for you.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

because I had to wait in line. I am beginning to think you don't travel much. the lap comment was sarcastic. you, again, implied I allowed my toddler all over the toilet seat while absolving yourself of judgment in the same sentence. oh yeah, I await that big stall waiting for me. hardly. actually, it is usually empty, but that wasn't my point. why are you missing the point? changing tables are not needed in hc stalls. they aren't needed in stalls at all. just agree to disagree. btw, I find your comment on yrs disabled condescending. I am sharing my experiences w/o having to bring that up.
    Last edited by cass; 05-15-2013 at 04:47 AM.

OK so i assume that cass is cassuming that people actually care, i tend to disagree, people disagree, laws change and why not create a media coverage 1/4 of America HAS A DISABILITY, THIS MEANS THAT EVERY AMERICAN FAMILY KNOWS SOMEONE personally WHO IS DISABLED. My state in South Australia HAS ITS FIRST ELECTED PARLIAMENTARIAN REPRECENTING DISABILITY, Cass should run for high office. i was thinking / stiill thinking of rummimg my self.