Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 152

Thread: AB's using handicapped stalls

  1. #41
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Yes ... as is my luck ... all the good ones are married or taken! lol Your god is cruel.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    When I roll in, if I see feet under the door, I say "wheelchair in the house, handicap stall get a move on". If they don't make any headway, I roll up to the door and sit there the rest of the time, you'd be amazed how many people can't shit when I'm sitting at their door.
    Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Haha, I find about .02% difference in what I do and what you do. I make an announcement when I come in, then as next resort I THEN roll up to the door. You roll right up to the door, knock, and talk to the person who is quietly trying to take a shit. You for some reason think your "pressure" is nicer than mine. So be it.
    I think my pressure is nicer because I don't tell people to get a move on like I think being in a wheelchair gives me precedence over who ever may be using that stall. Telling someone to get a move is about equivalent to telling them to hurry the hell up, which is quite rude. I'm surprised someone hasn't told you to GFYS when you say that to them. The way I go about it I'm actually being polite by telling them my situation and letting them know that stall is needed by someone who can't use any other stall and asking them if they plan to be much longer. I don't see a problem with that.

  3. #43
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    This works against us too. I was once at the local theatre and during the break, I went to use the washroom. At that time, I was able to use valsalva/crede to use the washroom but it meant transferring, undressing, making sure I was empty, dressing and transfer back. Make sure I'm all put back together in the mirror and wash hands vigorously (public washrooms are hellish in a wheelchair).

    This woman started out knocking .. then yelling .. then pounding and yelling on the door. Five minutes had passed from the time I went in there .. she had a young gal in a wheelchair with her who couldn't communicate.

    I was so embarrassed (was young then) and she had caused a scene. I slowly wheeled out and gave her a look that could kill while sarcastically telling her I was sorry.

    She never apologized or even acknowledged me, other than her slack-jawed quick look and then ignored me.

    A year ago, the same thing happened with an elderly lady. There was a washroom 25ft down the hall (good idea at the urologists' office) ... she claimed she wasn't going to make it that far on her cane and having to use the washroom.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    Where do you think mom should change her baby? I may have been pitiless before becoming a mother, but parents with infants and small children need that extra room just as much as any wheelchair user. Would you send a toddler into a small stall by themselves?
    how do you think I changed my baby from my wheelchair? my point was things should not be combined. there are family restrooms, baby changing stations and hc stalls. it is the venue cutting corners by combining them. btw, it didn't take 15 minutes for this quad to change her baby.

    eta: when he was potty trained, I took him to a regular stall in the women's. I sat right outside it. one more comment. moms (including me) have been changing babies for yrs, long before venues recognized the need. you tell me where they did it. maybe hc parking should be combined with moms to be. not. I had my baby 6 yrs post. I had to figure things out. so no, an ab mom who ignored my pleas doesn't cut it. btw, there were 2 in there laughing and gossiping.
    Last edited by cass; 05-13-2013 at 04:52 AM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member McDuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas area, Tx
    Posts
    3,479
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    I think my pressure is nicer because I don't tell people to get a move on like I think being in a wheelchair gives me precedence over who ever may be using that stall. Telling someone to get a move is about equivalent to telling them to hurry the hell up, which is quite rude. I'm surprised someone hasn't told you to GFYS when you say that to them. The way I go about it I'm actually being polite by telling them my situation and letting them know that stall is needed by someone who can't use any other stall and asking them if they plan to be much longer. I don't see a problem with that.
    Yes, your way is a little nicer, but if you really believe that the AB person sitting in the only big stall in the whole bathroom, in this day and age is really unaware of its purpose, you are deluding yourself. They took it because they don't care, or figured they wouldn't get caught.

    Now if all stalls are full, I do cut some slack, as others have said, it's not a w/c only stall. But when all others are empty and the guy says all were full when I got here, then I tell him he's gotten too damn comfortable if 3-4 other people already beat feet.

    So, I do modify my approach, but nicey-nice isn't it. Maybe it's because as AB I worked with and rode with guys in chairs and amputees, and learned early on how it affected people and gave people shit for it back then.

    On the good side; went to Kenny Chesney concert saturday night at Cowboy Stadium, damn what a good show, anyway, went to take a leak and got in line of about 20+ guys, the guy who could see around the corner, yells back "hey c'mon the h/c stall's open". I said that's alright I'll wait my turn; to a man, the whole line had me go ahead of them to get to the h/c stall. Faith in humanity restored.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

  6. #46
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,221
    Luckily, where we live in Holland, most of the w/c toilets are a separate room and it is very obvious when someone is going in who may not need it, which I think discourages it. The bad side of that is that when it happens, people can literally stay in there forever, especially like at the airport, doing who knows what because you can't communicate with them through the door.

    I have to admit, as a carepartner, I have sometimes assisted my partner, and I have quickly used the toilet also. Taking a pee is sometimes like yawning, and very contagious where there is just no time for me to help my partner and get over to another toilet area, that is often in different area completely. I sometimes feel a bit guilty about it -- should I?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  7. #47
    Senior Member McDuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas area, Tx
    Posts
    3,479
    No, not at all. You are in there for a reason, makes no sense for you to have to run to the other room, your additional time is marginal compared to what cathing time is.

    You are right it is contagious, when I cath at night in bed, I try not to make any splash noises into the urinal bottle, otherwise it wakes my wife up, and then she grumbles at me as she has to head for the bathroom.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    No, not at all. You are in there for a reason, makes no sense for you to have to run to the other room, your additional time is marginal compared to what cathing time is.

    You are right it is contagious, when I cath at night in bed, I try not to make any splash noises into the urinal bottle, otherwise it wakes my wife up, and then she grumbles at me as she has to head for the bathroom.
    I hate to change the subject (ok, no I don't), but I was curious if you got your motorcycle yet? We went for a ride yesterday and it made me think about you, McDuff!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Just outside of Philly
    Posts
    189
    I fly a lot and find that most of the major airports now have a single access bathroom separate from the community bathrooms and they are not as frequently invaded by the AB's with upset stomachs.

  10. #50
    Senior Member McDuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas area, Tx
    Posts
    3,479
    Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I hate to change the subject (ok, no I don't), but I was curious if you got your motorcycle yet? We went for a ride yesterday and it made me think about you, McDuff!
    I've had the bike for a couple years, just haven't gotten her "spring" ready yet. Gotta charge it up, get inspection, yada yada. Just yesterday I realized I have lost the new registration sticker I got in the mail. !@#$%^ Now I have to send in for another one.

    Yesterday would have been a good day for a ride. Just have to watch out so you don't snort any cottonwood, sheesh, it's everywhere.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Similar Threads

  1. Handicapped?
    By dispatchjen in forum Life
    Replies: 261
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM
  2. Blair Lures Scientists as Bush Ban Stalls Science
    By Wise Young in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 10:54 AM
  3. Stem Cell Ban Stalls in Louisiana
    By Schmeky in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 07:40 PM
  4. Politics stalls stem-cell work
    By Max in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2002, 01:42 PM
  5. Cloning progresses, debate stalls
    By antiquity in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2002, 04:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •