Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: AB's using handicapped stalls

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    Man, it is getting tiring. Trying to go to the bathroom in a public place (airport tuesday) and stalls empty everywhere but someone is always taking a crap in the wheelchair accessible stall. It always happens.

All I do is to murmur something about the lack of consideration for wheelchair users, and wheel on to the next bathroom. It frankly pisses me off right at the level of handicapped parking.

Any creative way to handle this? Do we just put up with it just like we do with parkng placcard abuse?
    For me I just deal with it, and wait patiently for my turn to come. Most of the time when I've come across the wheelchair-accessible stall. It's being used by a fellow wheelchair user. When the lady using the wheelchair comes out. I just politely smile at her, and go about my business. Of course I've always had "I'm so sorry" being said to me every time a woman with a mobility device exits, and she sees me sitting there in my wheelchair waiting patiently. I would smile, and say, "It's OK. Don't worry about it."

I've had to wait for the accessible stall even when someone with a walker would be using it. On some occasions where there was a line in the womens' restroom, and I would be the 5th, or 6th woman in line. One woman would be kind enough to let me cut out of the line if the wheelchair-accessible stall was the only one open. The woman would look at me, and say, "Ma'am the wheelchair-accessible stall is open for you. You can go ahead." I would politely thank the woman, and head for the wheelchair-accessible stall.

I try not to let things bug me too much in difficult situations. I just take it with a smile, and move on. On some occasions when I had my friend/support provider, or even my mom with me. I'd roll into a regular stall if the two wheelchair accessible stalls were being used, transfer onto the toilet seat using my armrests for support, and then my mom/support provider would wheel (or drive if it's my power chair) my wheelchair out of the stall. They would then watch it for me while I did my business, and then they would go to the bathroom when I was done.
    Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I was that AB guy thoughtless using the HC stall. I was the guy you wished could see it from your side.
    Eww. Pants around those too-thin calves especially common among the English - knobby knees - a particular odour and probably whacking it off at the same time while multi-tasking (cell phone, newspaper) ... and/or hiding from office staff. lol

Image! Someone ... post a pretty story!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A lot of time at airports and other places they have bathroom for H/Ps, families, etc. in between the two bathrooms, that sometimes works, not sure if it's been mentioned. Getting op done I had done a few years back though was good for because it got me away from cathing and I don't need bathrooms nowheres near as much. I wear a big leg back and can even very easily use a urinal which saves a lot of time than waiting for the h/p stall where somebody is in using as a changing room or whatever.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I roll up with my feet under the door, hook my fingers in the handle and shake the door rattling it back and forth trying to open it. Then I wait outside and when they come out I ask them if the stall was wide enough for them
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    I roll up with my feet under the door, hook my fingers in the handle and shake the door rattling it back and forth trying to open it. Then I wait outside and when they come out I ask them if the stall was wide enough for them
    I just take out my 12 foot catheter extension tube, snake it under the stall door and ask the person inside to place it between their knees to drain in the toilet. This way we can share the toilet, use one flush and conserve water. Am I the only one who does this??

I'm not the type of old lady that rolls around mackin' on randos but lynnifer's right. stephen212 is cute. We should have been notified long ago. Standards ppl!

What is it with airports? In Seattle wheeler's get their own room. But it's got needle disposal and there's blood everywhere. Junkies prolly. B/c it's Seattle. But in their defense, it is the only airport in America where I can pee and catch a flight on time. Hawaii w/ no peeing? That trip was HELL.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I'm not the type of old lady that rolls around mackin' on randos but lynnifer's right. stephen212 is cute.
    I was going to say that I'm not an old lady and I don't mack on randoms ... but I would be wrong on both counts. lol

I'm normally right.

Stephen is cute in more ways than one! I wanna hug him and squeeze him and take care of him and I will call him George. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

You should hear him sing

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Stephen is cute in more ways than one! I wanna hug him and squeeze him and take care of him and I will call him George. lol
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I have. I love when you two go at it on my FB page. I like to watch ... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    My wife will so appreciate the assistance!