Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: AB's using handicapped stalls

sigh. I give up. traveling means all kinds of bathrooms, including honey buckets, rest stops or the great outdoors, etc. and no, my potty trained little boy was not by himself. I sat in the doorway of the stall. he had the ability to put the seat protector down and sit on it. I don't understand your hostility. i'm out.
    Last edited by cass; 05-16-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    sigh. I give up. traveling means all kinds of bathrooms, including honey buckets, rest stops or the great outdoors, etc. and no, my potty trained little boy was not by himself. I sat in the doorway of the stall. he had the ability to put the seat protector down and sit on it. I don't understand your hostility. i'm out.
    Yup.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I agree with Cass baby changing tables should not be in the hc stall. Why not have the baby changing area away from the stalls? I don't like being treated different because of my chair but there are some things I can't change I need a big stall. Why does it seem like so many ab people want to be disabiled. They must want to be diabled since they want to use all our things stalls and parking spaces.
    Last edited by elizabeth422; 05-16-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Spell check changed a word

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    I agree with Cass baby changing tables should not be in the hc stall...
    Me too. I am glad I've never seen one because my blood would have boiled over. Aside from what seems to me to be the obvious conflict of purposes there are definite defined distances that are supposed to be maintained. I wonder if these baby stations were added after the HC stall was drawn and approved.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

you know what's great? the increase of baby changing stations in the men's room. also, if there were more unisex/family bathrooms that would help ease the burden but then you run into space issues. sometimes, businesses cannot create more space for their bathrooms, if they did, say it was a restaurat, they'd lose space to seat customers. which hurts their ability to make money.

also, toilets are actually the cleanest areas. clearly you wouldnt let your kid climb up when you can see excrement/blood/etc but it's interesting how the myth that you can catch some disease from the toilet seat still persists. also, small children can be taught to get the seat protector on their own or you as a mom carry antibacterial wipes with you and have them wipe the seat. i've done this and i've also had to change a baby's diaper on my lap
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    I totally agree with your entitlement and victimization comment, i am the strongest self responsibility advocate. But I am also a strong believer in law and order. When there is a freaking sign, as there was in MIA, showing a wheelchair and asking people to leave the stall for disabled people, or something to that effect, I expect people to respect the rules.

This is not an entitlement or victimization issue.
    It becomes an entitlement issue when you expect special treatment. The ADa is one big entitlement. Doesn't make it wrong. It becomes a victimization issue when you get mad about it. I think I understand your notion of law and order as it relates to the accessible stalls, and somewhat agree. Though, once a sense of expectation on account of an attribute sets in, and anger becomes the habit when one's expectations aren't met, that's what I'm talking about.

Bigger (likely fewer) stalls for everyone isn't a great solution, IMo.

Practicing patience, is. Practicing meeting failed expectations with dignity, is.

We are the authors of our own reactions, including tying one's panties in a knot over the accessible stall not being available.

I'm guess I'm not much for throwing tantrums on account of my circumstances and failed expectations. My habit is to look forward, not rile myself up looking backward, and, think its a good enough idea to share!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    It becomes an entitlement issue when you expect special treatment. The ADa is one big entitlement. Doesn't make it wrong. It becomes a victimization issue when you get mad about it. I think I understand your notion of law and order as it relates to the accessible stalls, and somewhat agree. Though, once a sense of expectation on account of an attribute sets in, and anger becomes the habit when one's expectations aren't met, that's what I'm talking about.

Bigger (likely fewer) stalls for everyone isn't a great solution, IMo.

Practicing patience, is. Practicing meeting failed expectations with dignity, is.

We are the authors of our own reactions, including tying one's panties in a knot over the accessible stall not being available.

I'm guess I'm not much for throwing tantrums on account of my circumstances and failed expectations. My habit is to look forward, not rile myself up looking backward, and, think its a good enough idea to share!
    it's an excellent attitude! and i think cass was trying to express that. just do what needs to get done.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I wouldn't mind a baby changing table in a handicapped stall-if it were the hight for a person in a wheelchair or a Little Person to change their baby on. I don't have a kid, but that seems to be the only reason to have a changing station in a HC stall.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

It rarely works out perfect for everyone in these situations. I was shopping yesterday and stopped in the restroom. Someone was of course in the stall. After I went in I heard a lady and some kids walk in. The baby changing station is on the wall across from the sink. Once I came out and washed my hands I could not get out of the bathroom because the baby changing table was folded down. There wasn't enough room to get by. I patiently waited for the sweet lady to change her baby and made conversation. It made me ponder about this thread. All we can do is practice patience and hope that as new buildings and shopping centers are built that these situations can be addressed.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Anyone else run into the odd accessible stall door that only swings into the stall, precluding the possibility of closing the door with a WC also in the stall? I find them from time to time.

(Funny thing happened to me yesterday...my D's Locks cable broke while I was sidled up to a public John. When a D's cable lets go the hub locks are stuck locked, and need the guts of the pistons removed to unlock them. THAT was an adventure in an HC stall, sitting on the edge of my seat, legs to either side of the toilet, unable to move the chair even an inch! )

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.