Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: AB's using handicapped stalls

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    When I roll in, if I see feet under the door, I say "wheelchair in the house, handicap stall get a move on". If they don't make any headway, I roll up to the door and sit there the rest of the time, you'd be amazed how many people can't shit when I'm sitting at their door.
    That's kind of rude, just because you roll up in your wheelchair doesn't mean you get priority over someone who is not using a wheelchair. It's not like it's the wheelchair only stall, people with other disabilities need to use that stall too.

Whether there's other open stalls, or not when I roll into the bathroom and I notice the handicapped accessible stall is occupied, I knock on the stall door and announce that I'm in a wheelchair and that's the only stall I can use and then I ask them if they are going to be much longer. Usually when there's an able body person in the stall they usually get a move on and get out of there fairly quick and apologize on the way out.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I had a very bad back and could not get off the toilet without the grab bars but I never once saw a wheelchair in any public bathroom I needed. Still would have jumped up, been embarased and apologised.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

If you have ever seen an AB using the HC stall and wished they could taste what its really like to be handicapped, then you got me.

I was that AB guy thoughtless using the HC stall. I was the guy you wished could see it from your side. You got me. (and honestly, it never crossed my mind as being thoughtless. I never saw a chair waiting on me once in the years I did it.)

But I hope you are happy now I am in a chair. Yeah, I got the SCI and I now I "get it". Loud and clear. Thanks! ...you handicapped muthers. Way to teach me lesson. ...I sure hope you feel better about yourselves....condemning me to spend the rest of my life catheterizing myself because you wanted some retribution....gee.....

My biggest pet peeve is stalls at airports and ski resorts where people seem to mistake them for changing rooms for themselves and their entire family-or the train station in Boston where people use them to sit and smoke.

Actually it is more than a pet peeve-it makes me really angry.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Just because someone is in an HC stall and others are empty does not mean that was the case when they went in there... sure people gravitate to that stall but you cannot know the circumstances for sure so we should not assume...If I have to pee I just pull up to a urinal and that is all I do in public.... It is nice if the HC is open but if not life is to short to wait IMO

I have been in so many bathrooms over 27 yrs. I have rarely run across anyone using a hc stall in a w/c. excuses, excuses. also, I hate when the only hc stall is marked baby changing. I once waited 15 minutes or more for an ab to change her baby. I was practically in dysreflexia by the time she came out. I will open my legbag on the floor before I do that again. I didn't find posted video very funny. ad is not funny.
    Last edited by cass; 05-11-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    That's kind of rude, just because you roll up in your wheelchair doesn't mean you get priority over someone who is not using a wheelchair. It's not like it's the wheelchair only stall, people with other disabilities need to use that stall too.

Whether there's other open stalls, or not when I roll into the bathroom and I notice the handicapped accessible stall is occupied, I knock on the stall door and announce that I'm in a wheelchair and that's the only stall I can use and then I ask them if they are going to be much longer. Usually when there's an able body person in the stall they usually get a move on and get out of there fairly quick and apologize on the way out.
    Haha, I find about .02% difference in what I do and what you do. I make an announcement when I come in, then as next resort I THEN roll up to the door. You roll right up to the door, knock, and talk to the person who is quietly trying to take a shit. You for some reason think your "pressure" is nicer than mine. So be it.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by aidan416 View Post
    My biggest pet peeve is stalls at airports and ski resorts where people seem to mistake them for changing rooms for themselves and their entire family-or the train station in Boston where people use them to sit and smoke.

Actually it is more than a pet peeve-it makes me really angry.
    My pet peeve is adaptive sports camps and abilities expos! Try to find and accessible stall when the place is full of wheelers
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    I have been in so many bathrooms over 27 yrs. I have rarely run across anyone using a hc stall in a w/c. excuses, excuses. also, I hate when the only hc stall is marked baby changing. I once waited 15 minutes or more for an ab to change her baby. I was practically in dysreflexia by the time she came out. I will open my legbag on the floor before I do that again. I didn't find posted video very funny. ad is not funny.
    Where do you think mom should change her baby? I may have been pitiless before becoming a mother, but parents with infants and small children need that extra room just as much as any wheelchair user. Would you send a toddler into a small stall by themselves?
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi