Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: AB's using handicapped stalls

AB's using handicapped stalls

Man, it is getting tiring. Trying to go to the bathroom in a public place (airport tuesday) and stalls empty everywhere but someone is always taking a crap in the wheelchair accessible stall. It always happens.

All I do is to murmur something about the lack of consideration for wheelchair users, and wheel on to the next bathroom. It frankly pisses me off right at the level of handicapped parking.

Any creative way to handle this? Do we just put up with it just like we do with parkng placcard abuse?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much anyone can do about it. Just shake it off and don't let the little things bother you. There are other things in life to get stressed out about.

Write the airport about universal design and having more than one stall accessible to wheelchairs.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I just roll in to the door as if I'm opening it and didn't know anyone was in there. They can clearly see my wheels under the door and usually hurry and come out with apologies. I just say oh it's ok, I'm sure you needed it. Nothing else you can do.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

You can force the door and shoot them dead. But then you have to get their dead ass out of the stall before you can use it. Or you can roll on and hope that the next accessible stall toilet isn't occupied by an inconsiderate asshole.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

This topic has been beaten to death as of late. The apparelyzed site has to very active threads discussing this same issue.

But to reply to he OP, we're all in that same boat. It totally sucks and I'm not sure what we can do about it other than complain to each other. Time and tiem again, people will just make excuses to justify it.
    It's just plain tiring.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

When I roll in, if I see feet under the door, I say "wheelchair in the house, handicap stall get a move on". If they don't make any headway, I roll up to the door and sit there the rest of the time, you'd be amazed how many people can't shit when I'm sitting at their door.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I view it as karma. I was AB for 45 years and honestly never put much thought into it and crapped in the HC stall a lot. I would like to think if I had ever walked out of a stall and seen a person in a wheelchair I would have never done it again, but I never did so don't know.

So when I see someone in a stall I just think Karma is a bitch and roll on to another bathroom (or wait if there isn't one)

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    This topic has been beaten to death as of late. The apparelyzed site has to very active threads discussing this same issue.

But to reply to he OP, we're all in that same boat. It totally sucks and I'm not sure what we can do about it other than complain to each other. Time and tiem again, people will just make excuses to justify it.
    It's just plain tiring.
    Yeah, that and HC parking really seem to really push some folks buttons. Like to the extreme. Me, I think that life is too short to perseverate on these complaints. I spend my time advocating for more access. You do what you can. But there will always be people who don't get it or who know and don't care.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Unlike HC parking, there is no exclusivity to using handicapped bathroom stalls. Their use does not require a permit; ABs can't get ticketed and fined for using them. As such, establishments can only put up signage requesting that the HC stall be reserved for those who need them, though I've never seen this, not even once.