Thread: holistic alternative to valium

holistic alternative to valium

I have been taking 10mg diazepam at night for 15 years for muscle spasms. I have experienced poor long term memory for years but have now noticed my short term being affected also. As I start to get older and care more about long term health, I would like to find a holistic alternative. Worth a try in my opinion! I'm married to a sharp and intelligent lady and we're bot competitive natured, I don't want to loose that with her. This is the only medication I take but am a firm believer that most medication should be avoided if possible. I don't know much about the holistic scene but perhaps someone out there has the answer or answers

Thanks,
    roller

Have you tried other medications for your spasticity? Valium is not the best, and we try to avoid it for just the reasons you mention. I know of no legitimate herbal replacement for any of this class of drugs, esp. not that help with spasticity.

If you do decide to stop the Valium, it is critical that you do a medically supervised slow taper. Never stop it suddenly when you have been on it this long. Withdrawal can be very dangerous.

(KLD)

I haven't seen anything in the US that would holistically replace valium. I'd go with the supervised withdrawel with your doc and maybe try Zanaflex/thizanidine for nighttime only. With me that was the only other drug that worked well for a short time period so would do well for nights and it made me sleepy.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Valerian would be the rebalancing equivalent. Works better sublingually in tincture form. Definitely wean yourself off the Valium slowly. I'm pretty sure you can add in the valerian as you ease off the Valium. Doesn't work for everyone and dosage is variable.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

I never thought I would be posting this. Marijuana might be a possibility if it fits your definition of "Holistic." However, there appear to be cognitive issues associated with it. I see that you are from California so you probably have medical access to it.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...ple-sclerosis/
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I take Valerian root capsules along with 10 mg of Valium at bedtime. It doesn't do much for my spasms but I like the relaxing effect. Also Valium is a must after my BP. After 43 years I can't say it hurt me any.

Read more about Valerian here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_%28herb%29
    Just another tricky day. C5/6 incomplete, 43 years out.

You'll get through.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you tried other medications for your spasticity? Valium is not the best, and we try to avoid it for just the reasons you mention. I know of no legitimate herbal replacement for any of this class of drugs, esp. not that help with spasticity.

If you do decide to stop the Valium, it is critical that you do a medically supervised slow taper. Never stop it suddenly when you have been on it this long. Withdrawal can be very dangerous.

(KLD)
    I was taking Valium for 22 1/2 years at night for sleep. I had weaned down to 5mg at night and a few months ago I started taking 2.5mg. I did that for a few weeks and then took 2.5mg every other night. I did that for a week or two and then took 2.5 every 2-3 days for a week. Then I stopped altogether about 3 weeks ago.
    I haven't had any psychological issues, but a couple weeks ago I got constipated and after a week of no pooh, I had to use a suppository and got dramatic results. I am currently experiencing constipation again and plan to use another suppository tonight. I have also been experiencing pain in my abdomen for nearly a year (thought it was the normal bloating) but it wasn't too bad until about 6-8 weeks ago. It's gotten worse lately and I'm scheduled for an ultrasound on Monday. My worst fear was that I have a tumor that is causing pain and also causing my constipation by blocking the bowel. The pain is worse at night, around 12-3, and keeps me awake.
    After reading this post, I was wondering if it might be the Valium. I didn't see anything about constipation as a withdrawal side-effect from Valium but perhaps an SCI-Nurse might know better.

Footnote: Up until February of this year I had no problems with constipation. I had flap surgery and upped my Baclofen from 10mg (3x a day) to 20mg. I had previously weaned myself down to 10mg over about a years time, but thought that I best go back so I would be less spastic during the healing process. I know that Baclofen can cause constipation so I began taking Colace and drank even more water.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Valium is not the best, and we try to avoid it for just the reasons you mention.
    (KLD)
    That's odd because for me Valium was the only thing that had any noticeable effect on my spasms/spacticity. My doctor first put me on Zanaflex. I took it every 6 hours, but after about 20 minutes of taking it I couldn't stay awake. I would sleep for 2-4 hours, and when it was time to take it again it would put me back to sleep.

He switched me to Baclofen, starting low and upping the dosage until I was at 80mg/day, which is the max. recommended dose. I didn't notice any difference each time I went up in dose. I had pretty severe spasms, so severe I was being thrown out of my chair and bed because of them. He then added Valium to the Baclofen, and finally got things under control. I take 20mg of Baclofen with 2.5mg of Valium four times a day.
    Last edited by notsohotwheels; 05-10-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: I take it four times a day, not six.

These responses have been great, a real mixed bag. I am going to take a while to ween off the Valium, that's been the case for me with just about every med I've tried for neuro pain and spasms. I tried Valerian root years ago and though it gave me a soothing feeling, it did not help any with my spasms. The best has always been marijuana but I struggled mentally with having to smoke it. Today you can use the new electric cigarette with a vile of hash oil in place of the nicotine vile. The added beauty is I can leave it in my night stand and just take a puff at lights out. I tried a friends a few nights ago and it made for a great nights sleep. A great nights sleep typically equates to much less neuro pain for me so this might finally after many years be a winner! I plan on meeting with some of the areas medical marijuana experts and see if we can dial in a good strain that gives me both the best results with spasms and the daily pain. I will report back on the progress but it may take some time as first I will ween off the valium to see where that leaves me before switching to the MM. At this stage, who knows? I may have to continue taking a small amount of Valium, but 2mg is much better than 10mg and if it helps with my memory issues then that's a major bonus!
    Thank you all for your input, that's what's great about this forum! I'll continue to watch this thread and see what else develops
    roller

Valerian from my knowledge I have know people to take this for the relaxing effect. But, not certain on how it would help with spasms. Recently I went to Zanaflex generic (4 MG TID is about $90) and it helped a great deal. It is just more costly than Valium 10 MG TID is about $30) at least @ my drug store. Not to promote any discount card, but I have found the one that Walgreens has does help for some people.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.