Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Questions

Wheelchair Questions

I am a recent paraplegic and have a few questions about a wheelchair to anyone who would like to comment, I would appreciate it. Which tires are the best: solid or low pressure? I need a tire that will be good inside on smooth floor as well as carpet, and outside on grass and gravel. Please comment on a Colours wheelchair if anyone has or had one (spec. Razorblade)

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    HIGH pressureair tires
    Colours chairs are crap and heavy.
    TiLite adjustable rigid chair is the way to go unless you can get someone to buy you an Icon wheelchair. The Icon will be a great beginner chair with a lot of adjustment to get a good fit. Buying a chair as a newbie usually involves getting a terrible fit and not knowing what you really want and need early on.

Ok, that's good to know. I actually found Colours wheelchairs at an Abilities Expo I went to a few months ago and talked to a few different people there and they had really good comments about Colours. So thank you for you advice.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpeaaster2013 View Post
    Ok, that's good to know. I actually found Colours wheelchairs at an Abilities Expo I went to a few months ago and talked to a few different people there and they had really good comments about Colours. So thank you for you advice.
    most likely because they are a huge sponsor for Abilities Expo. They're more about flash than fuction.

Hi, welcome to the forum,

High pressure pneumatics all the way! The schwalbe marathon seems to be the most popular, 145psi rated, fairly good rolling resistance, very hard wearing and puncture resistant. They are a bit heavy though. Other options I would go for are schwalbe airborne (would be good on carpet as slightly bigger footprint), or rightruns which would have very low rolling resistance. Kenda also do a good range of high pressure tyres.

Solids generally have quite a high rolling resistance and they're heavy. They're ok if you're not particularly active or want no maintenance or risk of punctures I can understand them. I believe 'Shox' are the most popular choice in this category.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

I recently got my first chair, an Icon. I absolutely love it. I can adjust everything about it. Thread with my review.

Tires. There is no reason at all to go with solid tires. Schwalbe's Marathon Plus tires are so tough they are essentially flat resistant. I used to commute on a trike and I had thousands of miles in all weather with zero issues.

Size of tires - the higher the pressure, the lower the rolling resistance. For the same pressure, the wider the tire the less rolling resistance. Narrow tires can take higher pressures and, IMO, are easier on carpet. Wider tires are much easier on grass, dirt, or gravel and about the same on solid surface floors. A standard wheelchair rim can handle anything from 23mm to 50mm width (according to customer service at Spinergy) One other thing to keep in mind is that a higher width tire may need additional axle spacers to keep the tires from rubbing your pants, especially in winter with thick layers or when set at high camber. But spacers are cheep.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

For a first chair consider TiLite Aero T, Aero Z or ZRA. All these chairs are solid chairs and adjustable so you can dial it in to what is best for you, which can take some time.

I also vote for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, they are a very good tire that should serve you well with no worries. Also invest in a good tire pump as you will be best served in airing up your tires about every 2 weeks,
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

...btw, how tall are you? The standard on chairs is to run a 24" rear wheel. If you are on the taller side you may want to consider a 25" rear wheel. For the front, a 5" caster will serve well as a good medium for the environments you list.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

A good air pump and a good pressure gauge are essentials. It can be a real pain to use a hand pump, at the very least get a good floor pump.

If you can afford it, I recommend this air compressor and this gauge. The air compressor is very quiet and small, so quiet you can hold a normal voice conversation over it. I keep mine in the garage so I can use it for the chair while I sit on the car tailgate, for the car tires, and for my trike. It is also great for blowing air to clean computers. No oil, no maintenance and lasts forever.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I cannot agree with some of the negative comments here about Colours chairs. The Colours Eclipse in NOT a heavy chair. I pushed around in one for about 14 years and now own a Tilite TR3 (which I do like best, so far).