Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fes Bike

Fes Bike

Has anyone successfully got an FES bike through Medicare? You'd think they'd want to give me one seeing how much they've paid over the last 7 months to treat my blood clot. If you did what did you have to do? I've tried to look for threads regarding this but most are fairly old and I know Medicare has recently undergone some changes.

contact RTI directly. They might have some help for you. I know that they will work to get approval but might take a while.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    One can hardly get them to purchase a standing frame, so an FES bike would be even harder. Just hasn't been enough widespread proof that there is any benefit from using these.

I guess if you want an FES bike you have to be rich or have extremely good fund raising skills.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I guess if you want an FES bike you have to be rich or have extremely good fund raising skills.
    Even if you have the funds, they still require a Dr's prescrip to purchase one. Best way is to find used ones. There was an ERGYS2 in here a while ago that was cheap for an FES, but if the program key is used up(they allow so only many uses) one would need a doctors note top get a new key. I have used the RTI bikes and they didn't work worth the crap having to be used from your wheelchair.

Getting a drs prescription wouldn't be an issue. How much more powerful is a FES bike vs a muscle stim? I have this one http://www.neurocare.com I also have the SCI Fit 2 Pro bike. http://scifit.com/proseries/pro2.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Even if you have the funds, they still require a Dr's prescrip to purchase one. Best way is to find used ones. There was an ERGYS2 in here a while ago that was cheap for an FES, but if the program key is used up(they allow so only many uses) one would need a doctors note top get a new key. I have used the RTI bikes and they didn't work worth the crap having to be used from your wheelchair.
    Why do you say they didn't work? Could you be a little more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I use an Electrologic StimMaster Galaxy, an antique by today's standards. It's similar to the ERGYS -- a gigantic unit (here's a photo I grabbed from the web). The PT who trained me on FES was partial to the ERGYS over the RTI, which has a motor and thus makes less than clear how much effort belongs to the rider vs. the assistance provided by the unit. I'm not sure that would dissuade me from the RTI, which is a tremendous space saver over the ERGYS, but there is a benefit to sitting in a solid, immobile seat.

Medicare doesn't cover FES bikes. Medicaid in some states has.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Why not just buy a used Stimmaster or Ergys 2? I've seen them selling really cheap on the Classified sections, I saw one Stimmaster selling for 1000 bucks, that's a deal.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred