Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just demo'd SmartDrive

QT----can't wait for her to read this. I think she kind of felt like she failed during the demo and that this is just another thing she can't do.
    CG--exactly, can you imagine also having a freewheel with the SmartDrive

The new issue of New Mobility features all of these add-ons. Pretty extensive article if anyone is interested.

QTiPi, Thanks for the great and very informative report. I am very jealous that you didn't have to pay for yours, I will be out of pocket and don't know where I can get the money but what you said allayed many of my fears about the SmartDrive and knowing when it's on and off. Now if I can just get the money.

Arrow

Spinergy bought the rights for a power add on from the developer BeachMobility. C6 Quad for 35yrs & best I could find, especially for travel.

It is called the ZX1 & should clear FDA approval any day now. It's been a year long wait for gov't approval...get use to it...

Here is a link to the developer...check out the video's.
    http://beachmobility.com/ZX1/

And this discussion thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...119541&page=31

Quote Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post
    Spinergy bought the rights for a power add on from the developer BeachMobility. C6 Quad for 35yrs & best I could find, especially for travel.

It is called the ZX1 & should clear FDA approval any day now. It's been a year long wait for gov't approval...get use to it...

Here is a link to the developer...check out the video's.
    http://beachmobility.com/ZX1/

And this discussion thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...119541&page=31
    I've been following the ZX-1 for a while now, I even contacted Spinergy and asked to be informed when it was finally for sale. I have heard from a few posters that it is for sale now, haven't heard price. I haven't tried the ZX-1, it looks like a good solution but for me after a demo, the SmartDrive seems the way for me to go. It just disappears under the chair. My concern with the ZX-1 is where to put it when not in use. With the SmartDrive it seems I can leave it on the chair wherever I am. That's a big plus to me. They both seem like good options, it depends on the users needs.

I demo'd the 'Smart Drive' this morning. Very pleased!

My feeling was, "if it is half as good as the video that would be nice..." it was pretty much the same as the video, very impressed and submitting to insurance for purchase.

Had it out in drizzling rain, across my lawn, zips down the street , the power boost button is sweet.

Next week will be 35 years post injury for me. I have been pretty fortunate with shoulders. I feel like getting this with a new manual chair should sustain me for a while.

Giving it two thumbs up.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 05-23-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: eta:typo

Mind if I ask which DME you went through, neighbor?

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I demo'd the 'Smart Drive' this morning. Very pleased!

My feeling was, "if it is half as good as the video that would be nice..." it was pretty much the same as the video, very impressed and submitting to insurance for purchase.

Had it out in drizzling rain, across my lawn, zips down the street , the power boost button is sweet.

Next week will be 35 years post injury for me. I have been pretty fortunate with shoulders. I feel like getting this with a new manual chair should sustain me for a while.

Giving it two thumbs up.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

The zx1 looks great, but the two devices fit completely different needs. Like grommet where to put it when not in use was a major thought of mine. For my use I need help outside, but am good to go on flat surfaces with no help. Its not like I'm going to leave a zx1 chained to a bike rack, and no way I could lift the zx1 myself and my goal in power assist is to become MORE independent. I want something that will assist me on surfaces I can't handle, but not need to be removed or be in my way on surfaces I CAN handle and I want to remain as active as possible. I've watched the zx1 and emotions for over a year but wondered about these issues, and when the smart drive came along I realized it was perfect for all my needs. Now they just need to hurry up with the remote but it's good to know they will be retrofitting improvements to early adopters, so I can go ahead and start trying to get it covered through voc rehab.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

SmartDrive is two parts both only about 10 pounds each. It's amazing they accomplished so much with so little weight.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    SmartDrive is two parts both only about 10 pounds each. It's amazing they accomplished so much with so little weight.
    Drive unit: 8.5lbs
    Battery: 10-11lbs

We weighed it on my digital postal scale at my place. I was surprised that the battery was heavier than the drive but both were manageable with a little technique. I remember the first time I tried swinging the drive on and off it was too much for my shoulder but after a few tries I got better balance and technique and it was already getting to be a smooth movement. When the weight was on my chair it felt like it wasn't there. I still have my concerns about taking the pieces off to put my chair in the car but I think I can get it down to some fast movements just like I do with my wheels and frame.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Drive unit: 8.5lbs
    Battery: 10-11lbs

We weighed it on my digital postal scale at my place. I was surprised that the battery was heavier than the drive but both were manageable with a little technique. I remember the first time I tried swinging the drive on and off it was too much for my shoulder but after a few tries I got better balance and technique and it was already getting to be a smooth movement. When the weight was on my chair it felt like it wasn't there. I still have my concerns about taking the pieces off to put my chair in the car but I think I can get it down to some fast movements just like I do with my wheels and frame.
    Your concerns are similar to mine. But the competition units are either more difficult or impossible for me to handle alone.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.