Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just demo'd SmartDrive

I am fairly light, I weigh about 130 lbs. with my 6' 1" frame, but when I wear my braces I'm up to about 145 - 150 lbs. I definitely notice the difference in the effort needed to push myself around, especially on carpets and the like. From this, no so scientific study, I would conclude that weight does matter and anything to reduce the amount of effort needed, either by lowering weight or providing assistance, would be beneficial.

I caved in, bought one. The waiting begins. Thanks Grommet.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I caved in, bought one. The waiting begins. Thanks Grommet.
    That's great. Did you buy Louie's? I hope you'll tell us about living with it. I'm told the owner of Max Mobility will be at my Abilities Expo (San Jose, California) and have four demo chairs there. That's not until November but in the meantime I hope to keep learning about the SmartDrive and trying to come up with a way to buy one.

Congrats nonoise :-)

i really want the firefly!!!!! that'd be super convenient to have where i live and i could mod it to go longer distances
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    i really want the firefly!!!!! that'd be super convenient to have where i live and i could mod it to go longer distances
    If you get one, please report back. We need all the info we can get on all this stuff. The distance from my place to Rio Mobility more than doubled so I'm thinking I will try to see it at the Abilities Expo at the same time as seeing the SmartDrive again. I like the idea of the extra speed of the Firefly and the lower cost but it's apples and oranges, very different devices. Do you think you will be able to buy a Firefly?

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    If you get one, please report back. We need all the info we can get on all this stuff. The distance from my place to Rio Mobility more than doubled so I'm thinking I will try to see it at the Abilities Expo at the same time as seeing the SmartDrive again. I like the idea of the extra speed of the Firefly and the lower cost but it's apples and oranges, very different devices. Do you think you will be able to buy a Firefly?
    if i save i can get this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    if i save i can get this summer.
    You are so lucky. I want the SmartDrive. I don't see how I could save enough to get it. I'd need to put it on a credit card or find some other way. I got pretty excited this morning talking with Amy at Max Mobility when she told me they'd worked out getting the unit to work with my Tilite TR and the other things she told me, like how well it works for her and how she learned how to use it. We talked a lot, including techniques for using it to get up a ramp in to a van or up an access ramp and turning it off at the top. Except for the money I could see having one on my chair right away and living with it. So with motivation I am trying to figure out the money.

I've always found a way even when I couldn't imagine how I would but this is more than I've spent on anything before but I think it's going to be worth it. I hope.

That's great. Did you buy Louie's? I hope you'll tell us about living with it. I'm told the owner of Max Mobility will be at my Abilities Expo (San Jose, California) and have four demo chairs there. That's not until November but in the meantime I hope to keep learning about the SmartDrive and trying to come up with a way to buy one.

Congrats nonoise :-)
    Yep, his price was where I said it needed to be for me so I jumped on it. It won't be a full time thing for me but I did need to find something good before driving to Orlando next October.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You are so lucky. I want the SmartDrive. I don't see how I could save enough to get it. I'd need to put it on a credit card or find some other way. I got pretty excited this morning talking with Amy at Max Mobility when she told me they'd worked out getting the unit to work with my Tilite TR and the other things she told me, like how well it works for her and how she learned how to use it. We talked a lot, including techniques for using it to get up a ramp in to a van or up an access ramp and turning it off at the top. Except for the money I could see having one on my chair right away and living with it. So with motivation I am trying to figure out the money.

I've always found a way even when I couldn't imagine how I would but this is more than I've spent on anything before but I think it's going to be worth it. I hope.
    not lucky, just got my grant extended by the NIH for the summer lol they dont pay me a lot but i am grateful. still looking for a fulltime job for the rest of the year until i get into grad school.

i like all the attachments other than the firefly, it'd be great to own them all plus the smart drive. but $$$ is crazy. i do not understand how half a bike costs more than a regular bike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Yep, his price was where I said it needed to be for me so I jumped on it. It won't be a full time thing for me but I did need to find something good before driving to Orlando next October.
    I think you did really well. Louie's SD has the newer metal connector so I think it's a second generation, the newest and I saw the photos, it's in great shape, basically new.